Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started figuring out the smith's guages. In the factory five doc, it says, "elect hook-ups for the guages referenced in these instructions are for 1992-1993 donor cars only!" It goes on to say, "look up the positions in a Chilton's manual" I have a clinton's manual and it does not have any diagrams of the guage pod wiring. My harness is from a junkyard and it is not a 92-93 harness. Can anybody help me out with the wiring for these guages.

Many thanks in advance.

Dick

·
Senior Charter Member
633 Posts
Richard,
I found a 1991 Ford Mustang factory service manual on ebay for about 26 bucks that proved to be a good investment. I used VDO gages but the hook-up is probably similar for Smith's. You can connect wires from the aftermarket gage the same way the stock gages from the pod are run. I took the gage pod connectors apart and hooked the wires to terminal strips mounted to the firewall and identified them by tracing the circuit on the printed circuit attached to the back of the pod. If you look close the circuit conductors on the plastic sheet are labeled with abbreviated notes to what the circuit is for. All the wiring diagrams were in the service manual and drawings were provided for all the connector types, harness runs, and switch types in detail. The toughest part was figuring out how to wire up the anti-slosh module (small circuit board clipped into the pod) to the fuel gage. It prevents the needle in the instrument from mooving wildly when the gas moves around in a partially filled tank. I have a lot of notes I made on the gage wiring which I will be glad to share with you. Wiring was the toughest problem I faced in my build. My car has been on the road since June and has won four first-in-class show trophies and one second in five shows.
:cool:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,004 Posts
Dick,
Here are the wire colors for the senders:
Fuel Gauge: Yellow/White
Oil Pressure: White/Red
Water Temp: Red/White
Tach: Tan/Yellow
The other poles on the gauges are for +12 volts and Ground.

Ed
FFR1997K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts