Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it and I would like to use it.I have read most of the posts regarding the evils around this connection, but nevertheless I would like to pursue it. Has anyone installed it,had any problems since installation and how did you wire it?

I have a 351W,MSD6AL and a 100 amp altenator that
will rarely be taxed to its output capability.
Your thoughts please.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
As you know, most people use the voltmeter instead of the ammeter.

That being said, you have to bring the alternator output up through the ammeter so it can read the flow from the alternator. If your have terminals, then easy to wire a plus (from alt) and a minus (to battery).

So it is a fairly big wire up by the dashboard.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,132 Posts
In my opinion there is absoulutely no good reason to use an ammeter. It comes with too high a fire risk. Our cars are not perfect replicas, so the argument for authenticity doesn't wash.

Go with a voltmeter, and be done with it.

JMHO.

Good Luick

Jeff E.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Call Nisonger, who is a Smiths dealer/rebuilder.. They told me with the 100 amp alt not to use mine.. They swaped it out for a Volt meter for $35 delivered...

if you use it you will have live full current amps behind your dash.. way too many things can go wrong.. In my ming the risk does not reap the reward.. go volt of clock!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.