Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have gone with the Smith gauges I need some help. I've had the gauges for some time now and I've heard about their accuracy, or lack of, but I have other questions.

1) Mine has a six hole mounting and the flange does not fit into the Mustang tank, with or without the normal snap ring. How did you mount yours to the Mustang tank?

2) The instructions relate the tank depth to the pivot-to-float distance. While the area of the sender is about 5"/127mm that means that arm would be very short (or less than 4"). How long did you make your pivot-to-float distance?

3) Given how flukey the mounting and adjustments are, can a Mustang sending unit be adapted to be used with the Smiths fuel gauge? Is it possible that I received the wrong sending unit from Finish Line?

Since the unit can be installed with the fuel tank mounted, I'm going to continue with the assembly and, hopefully, someone has an answer out there.

Thank you very much.

·
Senior Charter Member
309 Posts
Hank, first determine what ohm range the gauge iset up for. when we were offering the smiths gauges, the fuel level was calibrated for the 87-93 mustang sender, which has an ohm range of 16 empty, to 158 full. if your gauge is set for this range, you can use the stock mustang sender. joeffr.

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
Hank - where did you buy the guages?

FFR and Nisonger sell a fuel tank gauge that is modified to use the stock mustang fuel sending unit, not sure if Finishline does.

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe and John, that's good to know and thanks for the input. I bought both from Finish line so I suspect it is not set up for the correct ohms to use the Mustang sender. I will contact Paula to see exactly what I have.

Does anyone know what size resister I need to add if I install the standard Mustang sending unit?

·
3,875 Posts
The Smith gauges I bought from FFR a few years ago (from Nisonger) used the stock Mustang sending unit.
Don

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I had also received an email from Paula at Finish Line suggesting I contact Nisonger since they haven't carried the Smith products for about two years. What can I say, its been a long build.

I spoke with Woody at Nisonger and he indicated that they had worked with the manufacturer to get a gauge that would work with the Mustang sender. He also indicated that they supply the gauges to FFR.

Bottom line, and for future reference for those in the same boat, I ordered a new gauge from Nisonger and will install the Mustang sending unit tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts