Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a company offering any type of smartcard, RFID or fingerprint technology for automotive applications?

I'd LIKE to use a push button start, but I don't want to make so easy for someone to drive the car away.

What is everyone else doing?

TIA,
Stan

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I don't know how to do the job, but Texas Instruments is heavily involved in RFID and my Dell notebook uses a fingerprint swipe to acertain that it's me. I'm sure there's software engineering involved behind the swiper. Good idea, though.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
My whole speciality is as a RFID Integrator. (In Hospitals)

Lexsus has one where you just walk up to the car and it unlocks. (Key fob is transmitter) Any key fob and receiver should be able to be connected to a relay that starts the engine.

Same with a fingerprint reader.

Interesting. I'll ask around.
Dan

·
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks yucaipamycar! I know Mercedes Benz offers the same type thing as well.

What is everyone doing who's using a push button start? I think using some type of prox device (or more high tech fingerprint reader/smartcard thingie) would be much more secure. I need to be able to trust that my Cobra isn't being driven away if I turn my back for more than five minutes...once I finish it, of course.

·
5,559 Posts
I just wired mine in series with the ignition keyed switch, so that the button is dead until you turn the key to the "on" position. Since I originally set my dash up with the black horn button to the right of the keyed switch, it was perfect when I moved the horn to the steering column. I just converted the old horn button to the start button. No extra hardware, or holes to cut - just a little extra wiring to make it all work. My favorite thing was that it was $0! :D

Brian

·
Junior Charter Member
612 Posts
I got my transponder unit at autotoyz.com. It works well, and I think it would work for what you are trying to do. I went though all the same options that you did, and you should look for something passive that has an immobilization circuit. I decided on the transponder unit, becasue it was easy and works great. I looked for a long time for a good fingerprint device, and I could not find something that mounted well, and look good. I also looked for keypads, those looked kinda cool if you find the right one.

Mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Sounds like a great add on device for I-Squared

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
I would've sworn I saw a post a few months ago that I Squared had a proximity system add-on, but their website doesn't mention it and I can't find any post about it now.

I must've dreamed it or something.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
That's what I would like: A full proximity system add-in.

I thought I remember I^2 talking about it too. But, when I went looking for it on the site I didn't find it either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts