Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone swapped out the stock alternator for a smaller one. I would think without all the power goodies a much smaller alternator would be called for. Just curious what the general consensus is?

Thanks,

Judd

·
Registered
688 Posts
Judd,

I started out with a small case 100 amp "one wire" alternator because just like you, I figured no A/C, no power windows, no stereo, how much power could I need?

Problem is that when I drive to work it's always dark and usually cold, so I'm at least running lights, heater, and radiator fan. Every time I stopped at a red light,(there are 27 of them on a 33 mile one-way commute), the one-wire alternator fell off line. It seems one-wires don't really put out rated voltage below about 1800 rpm.

After I drained the battery at an autocross one day I decided the one-wire had to go. I now have a Ford 3G 150 amp and couldn't be happier. If I need to shave off that extra 3 pounds, I'll skip lunch for a week. :D

Cheers,

Rick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.