Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been driving my car much lately. When I do a cold start (Florida cold) the engine cranks well but there is a little effort to get it started. The last time I drove it it it wouldn't start at all after a 3 mile ride down the street - cranked it until battery went dead. I left the car for a few hours charged the battery (a new optimus) and it started up with several cranks. Definitely smell fuel when cranking.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Keith

·
Registered
91 Posts
Timing got bumped somehow or coil on the way out so it’s barely adequate for cold starts and shot by the time it gets hot. Hard to say for sure of course without more info on the setup

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,034 Posts
Keith, you and I have been on here a lot of years and I will say, you have the most interesting problems. From you FFR to your boats to AC compressors. BTW, how did the compressor work out?

Is your FFR carb or EFI?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a relatively new Quick fuel carb which has been great.

Greg, I gave up on the compressor. Too hard to get to without my lift. And yes something always seems to be broken but maybe that is because I have too many toys. Thanks to the forum I often can get them fixed myself. I'll check the timing and maybe just replace the coil.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had a similar issue shortly after the completion of my 1989 EFI 5.0 donor build about 10-12 years ago. car ran fine after start and driving around. When I would stop and park, after a short stay the car would not start. By that I mean the car would turn over and not so much as a pop. Let it sit and cool off for about 1/2-1 hour and it would start up again and run without issue. Ended up taking to a dealer for plugging in for engine analysis. They found the reference loop voltage for all the sensors was supposed to be 5 volts, but it was all over the place coming out of the computer. It made the car think the throttle was being held WOT to clear a flood, so it cut out the fuel. You could crank till battery was dead and no start.

Solution was to replace the computer. Pulled and got a replacement from 5 Star Ford for reasonable price and never had any issues since. Seems that the computer got hot (internals of the computer) driving around and would not start well until it cooled down. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I havent been driving my car much lately. When I do a cold start (Florida cold) the engine cranks well but there is a little effort to get it started. The last time I drove it it it wouldn't start at all after a 3 mile ride down the street - cranked it until battery went dead. I left the car for a few hours charged the battery (a new optimus) and it started up with several cranks. Definitely smell fuel when cranking.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Keith
I don’t know your car, if it is carb. I would think the floats are sticking, causing a flooding condition

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had too small a ground wire from the starter to ground that would get hot near the headers and not carry the current needed. Replaced and moved the ground and it works every time. I am running a A9L with a tweecer tuner and I don't like it at all. It will come out this winter in favor of something that is not 29 years old with crusty wires and connectors!

·
355 Posts
sounds like the coil is going bad . as far a smelling raw fuel youll get it when the ignition not firing and cranking the engine as is will still draw air fuel into the cylinders under cranking without ignition and will flood it out check your oil make sure it hasnt been thinned because of the excess fuel from flooding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts