Factory Five Racing Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Oil pressure
Not sure what post you are referencing if any. Hint - hit the Quote button to quote a post - it makes it MUCH easier to follow comments.

·
Registered
861 Posts
2) Magnets that hold the phone in place. I have hidden high power magnets behind the transmission cover and behind the dash. I also have a thin metal strip in between my phone and phone case. It keeps the phone in the same place as I drive.

3) Hidden cup holders. This is a 6" bar on the underside of the transmission cover, and a magnet glued to a yeti knock off tumbler. That's my coffee cup, or wide enough to take the lid off and hold a cup in it if desired. Then I pick it up, and it's gone from sight.
20180509_223816 by D. R., on Flickr

I definitely thought about using magnets as holders on the underside of the sheetmetal.

Can you explain exactly what you did? How you secured them and what magnets you use?

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Insulate the cockpit

Like many others, I too have done countless mods since building my Mark 3 in 2005.

I’d say the single biggest improvement in driving comfort was insulating the footboxes & trans tunnel. I did it by pulling the seats & carpet then laying down some hand cut pieces of either 3/8” or 1/2” (I forget which one). It was a 3’ x 6’ roll from JC Whitney for around $20. I used spray adhesive and 3” aluminum tape to secure it.

Other honorable mentions include a pair of under dash courtesy lights; a thermostatically controlled fan switch, and the obligatory power outlets.

One of the most practical mods was a removable armrest/cupholders that sit behind the shifter and straddles the trans tunnel.

HTH,
Will

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Can you explain exactly what you did? How you secured them and what magnets you use?

Jason
Jason,
Just like Derald, I did a variation of Keysergogo's original idea.

To do mine, I riveted a 6" 1/8" x 2" steel bar (mcmaster #8910K399) under the transmission tunnel cover. It's held in place with two rivets at the center so I know I have 3" on both sides of those rivets to place my cup. I purchased the tumblers from Amazon for $10 each. I used gorilla glue to glue these magnets to the bottom of the tumbler.

NOTE:
1) If doing it again, I may purchase stronger magnets.
2) I don't have carpet on my build. If I did, the magnets probably wouldn't be strong enough.
3) anything that you put into that cup holder that is a lot taller than the edge, will cause the cupholder to tip when under heavy acceleration. A can is okay, but a full water bottle will cause the magnet to lose its hold (see #1).
4) I really like the way I can use the tumbler as the actual mug for my coffee, or a cup holder. I use it as the mug for my morning coffee 99% of the time.

PHOTOS OF INSTALL

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,732 Posts
Actually receiving the benefit of this board and a bunch of little access panel ideas posted here that I incorporated into the build.
Access to the footbox from the top has been the best and making the side vents removable with Velcro useful when my hydroboost and quadrant needed service

·
Registered
395 Posts

Jason
Jason,

To do mine, I riveted a 6" 1/8" x 2" steel bar (mcmaster #8910K399) under the transmission tunnel cover. It's held in place with two rivets at the center so I know I have 3" on both sides of those rivets to place my cup. I purchased the tumblers from Amazon for $10 each. I used gorilla glue to glue these magnets to the bottom of the tumbler.

NOTE:
2) I don't have carpet on my build. If I did, the magnets probably wouldn't be strong enough.
3) anything that you put into that cup holder that is a lot taller than the edge, will cause the cupholder to tip when under heavy acceleration. A can is okay, but a full water bottle will cause the magnet to lose its hold (see #1).
4) I really like the way I can use the tumbler as the actual mug for my coffee, or a cup holder. I use it as the mug for my morning coffee 99% of the time.

PHOTOS OF INSTALL
How about putting a magnet under the tunnel as well as on the tumbler? That should improve attractive properties even with carpet and sound/ heat insulation.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Jason
Jason,

NOTE:

PHOTOS OF INSTALL
How about putting a magnet under the tunnel as well as on the tumbler? That should improve attractive properties even with carpet and sound/ heat insulation.
Maybe but you are then subject to making sure the magnets are oriented properly. The strip allows for more universal options.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but I am going to add the ventilation to the footboxes. Tired of legs getting warm after the car heats up. Already researching what I need to do it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but I am going to add the ventilation to the footboxes. Tired of legs getting warm after the car heats up. Already researching what I need to do it.
I put in bilge blowers and tubing to the footboxes. I get better flow on the passenger side as the driver side is blocked by the fuse box and wiring. To be honest I never really use them. The vent I placed in the tranny tunnel blows hot air (better heater than vent). But, I really insulated the footboxes inside and out and I really dont feel any heat so I dont need the vents.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts