Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
ooh - specs on electric steering?
Go to epowersteering.com. They have a Factory Five MkIV specific kit for $650. Plan on doing it this winter. Contact epowersteering.com for details and instructions.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Really like the competition dash look! I would second the Russ Thompson turn signal and power steering as a toss up for me.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
High-back seats! Took the worry out of getting whiplash. Much more support, especially compared to the standard seats.
A secondary benefit of the high back seats is reduced buffeting from behind, makes the car a more enjoyable driver.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Really like the competition dash look! I would second the Russ Thompson turn signal and power steering as a toss up for me.
The competition dash is more than just for looks, in the standard layout, the steering wheel will partially block your view of the tach or speedo depending on which you put over there.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I have made many changes to the car as I built it, not too much after. I believe that I'd have to say my best "change" was cruise control, that takes a lot of worry out of highway cruising, I also like my home made 5-link rear suspension. Full length deep well foot boxes on both sides come in a close second (or third if the case is such).

Regards, Rick.
Rick,

Whose cruise control system did you use? I am thinking of going that route.

·
Charter Member
4,717 Posts
Driving school!

·
Charter Member
6,145 Posts
SAI mod

dog ringed box for racing

Auburn RR LSD

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
408 kit instead of a stock rebuild, not really that much more money. Kept the same smallish carb so it's quite tame. Second would be rod end RCAs and QA1's greatly improved the ride on a 3-link (Mark sells a package). Scott

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
My favorites are the Russ Thompson turn signal kit and my competition dash.

These are the items I see every time I drive it.

Nice Dash!

·
Official OLD GUY
3,742 Posts
E-Brake handle

OK, after Derald reminded me (thanks Derald), the "Fiero parking brake mod" was a GREAT! mod, cuz I used to get caught on the parking lot exit hill every time I left the Huntington Beach Cruise-In in the early days . . . this mod gave me a "hill-holder" that saved my ass many times, and more-than-likely, the guy behind me that was hugging my rear bumper.

Doc :beerchug:

·
Charter Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
408 kit instead of a stock rebuild, not really that much more money. Kept the same smallish carb so it's quite tame. Second would be rod end RCAs and QA1's greatly improved the ride on a 3-link (Mark sells a package). Scott

The rod end lowers and shocks made that much of a difference? That’s one on my list

·
Registered
530 Posts
Power Steering and Power Brakes

To me, adding the power steering and brakes made the car so much more street-able. Parking is a dream.

·
Premium Member
17,782 Posts
I made a lot of mods over the years. One of the best was a roll control. I used it all the time. Made it real easy to get started on a hill. Living in the mountains, that's kinda important. And it was fun for big smoky burn outs, too. ;)

Another good one was replacing the front lower control arm bushings with rod ends. It did not increase harshness, noise, or vibration like I thought it would. But it allowed the suspension to work as planned, instead of transferring wheel movement to the rest of the chassis. A noticeably smoother ride with rod ends.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I made a lot of mods over the years. One of the best was a roll control. I used it all the time. Made it real easy to get started on a hill. Living in the mountains, that's kinda important. And it was fun for big smoky burn outs, too. ;)

Another good one was replacing the front lower control arm bushings with rod ends. It did not increase harshness, noise, or vibration like I thought it would. But it allowed the suspension to work as planned, instead of transferring wheel movement to the rest of the chassis. A noticeably smoother ride with rod ends.
Bob,

Do you mean the spherical bearing inserts (or something similar)

Roadster - Chassis & Suspension - Page 2 - Factory Five Parts Catalog

#16332 - SPHERICAL BEARING INSERTS FOR FRONT LOWER AND 2015 IRS CONTROL ARMS

or something else?

·
Premium Member
17,782 Posts
Bob,

Do you mean the spherical bearing inserts (or something similar)

Roadster - Chassis & Suspension - Page 2 - Factory Five Parts Catalog

#16332 - SPHERICAL BEARING INSERTS FOR FRONT LOWER AND 2015 IRS CONTROL ARMS

or something else?
No, I actually cut off the bushings, and welded in rod ends. A slightly different way to get the same results. If that spherical bearing kit had been available, I would done that.

My race car suspension is based on a Miata. For that car, I pressed in spherical bearings everywhere. Made a huge improvement in handling.

·
Charter Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Similar to the rear upgrade to rod ends i assume. Suspension will free up. Wonder if cost and effort is worth the improvement

21 - 40 of 72 Posts