Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a subjective question and with all the different builds I’ll get all sorts of answers but I love to tinker and can never leave anything alone.

I swapped to power steering and power brakes last year and i thought those were life changing.

Let’s hear yours.

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Sold the Roadster, and got a mint 87' Grand National. :p

I do miss my FFR. Biggest thing I liked was the upgraded full custom done tan interior.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
I suppose my best upgrade was a 270hp 306 to a 450 347hp stroker, along with a lightweight billet aluminum flywheel and kevlar clutch, but that was out of need because the first engine died. Otherwise...

Best upgrade: rear brakes from Fox Mustang to 4-piston Wilwoods. (Started as a budget build.)

Best upgrade for the money: tinted the rear view mirror to keep headlights from blinding me at night. It was over 10 years ago, but I sent my extra window tint to over 100 forum members.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That’s a really tough question, don’t think I can name only one...

John

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Mods and Upgrades

My favorites are the Russ Thompson turn signal kit and my competition dash.

These are the items I see every time I drive it.

Attachments

·
Official OLD GUY
3,785 Posts
Footbox mods

Being perfectly honest, my MK-II got the best mod when I did the footbox expansion on the passenger's side . . . I also modded the floor to not have the "step" at the rear edge, just in front of the seat.

It was modded to have a slight slope, eliminating people getting their heels caught every time they tried to pull their legs back to get out of the car. I did this same slope mod to the drivers side too.

Add this to the dead pedal "pop-out" for my left foot and I can't think of any better mods to my car.

There have been many more but these are the best bang for my money.
I'd have to say the upgrade to MK-IV seats was second . . .

Doc :beerchug:

·
Senior Charter Member
6,515 Posts
Many Also...

I have made many changes to the car as I built it, not too much after. I believe that I'd have to say my best "change" was cruise control, that takes a lot of worry out of highway cruising, I also like my home made 5-link rear suspension. Full length deep well foot boxes on both sides come in a close second (or third if the case is such).

Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Best, 2nd best

EPAS, QA1 coilovers

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some good ideas here. Keep them coming.

I’ve built 6 and they all were pretty much the same. Car is a MK3 with a FI347 and 3 link.

I’d like to redo my dash.

Pedal box area is a bit tight.

gasn pipes is something I see in my future.

I’m sure the list will go on and on.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I don't have a single mod that was the best, but I do have several that are tied for first.

Self cancelling turn signal
fiero parking brake mod
cutting out the MK2 foot box brace
high mounted rear view mirrors
magnetic cup holders
mid shifted trans
rewired the entire car.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Tilt front.
It's a major modification but access to the entire front end is so much better.

Second would be electric power steering.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Best bang for the buck was to add another inch of foam to the bottom of my Kirkey racing seats. This really made a difference on longer runs.

Upgrading the dash layout to a Competition one and replacing Ron Francis switches with Lucas look-alikes was my second favorite.

Before selling, I added a leverage mod for the clutch fork from Mike Forte for the TR-3650. More for the new buyer than for me as I felt the clutch was a bit heavy without it. A good mod for around $100.

Not much else was done to the car in the 4 years I had it on the road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
NiceGuyEddie, what did you use to tint your mirror?
Best mod on my Mk 1.5 was to remove the angled brace on the left side of the driver foot box to make room for my foot to clear the clutch. I also adding a left foot brace that I got from a Mazda Miata.

·
Registered
396 Posts
High-back seats! Took the worry out of getting whiplash. Much more support, especially compared to the standard seats.

·
Charter Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think my winter upgrades are going to be

breeze rod end lowers and shocks for rear
Gasn pipes
Redo dash

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,450 Posts
I would say 3 link from 4 link was a huge difference. 4 link to Levy 5 link was another big difference. Power brakes make it much nicer to drive and power steering is also a great upgrade. Used all ford parts for both power brakes and power steering except for some new lines and fittings from Breeze for the power steering. Good Luck with the upgrades!

Mike

1 - 20 of 72 Posts