Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Russ Thompson gas pedal, Ford (FFR supplied)accelerator cable and Mass Flo throtle body. The accelerator pedal resistance is so slight that it is hard to feel. Have any of you added springs or did you just get used to the feel?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,688 Posts
I liked the light feel, but recently on a track event, had the throttle stick at about mid-point. I wasn't driving the car...thankfully Rob had the presence of mind to shut the car off right away.

We added a carb return spring to it. It's probably a bit too firm for my liking, but it's still smooth and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

One of the guys on the track said that the TBs can be prone to doing that in a track setting where the engine gets really hot. Apparently the metal expands just a bit and can hang up enough so the stock return spring doesn't pull it closed.

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Yep, it DID hang up. Scared the Be-jesus out of me, but like Dan said, I shut it right off. Get yourself some springs.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
As mentioned, do not rely on the spring on the Ford cable! Use a return spring. Also, notice that after market vendors such as Lokar use two springs (inner and outer), primarily to ensure proper return to idle.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had to add a spring to get my carb to return to idle.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
We talking EFI and Carb here? Or just one? If so, which one? I have EFI, FFR supplied cable, and Russ Thompson and like the feel. Haven't had a hang ... yet. :eek:

·
Banned
288 Posts
You should add a return spring to any throttle lever, carb or EFI. Most racing sactioning bodies require two springs to be safe (can't count the spring on the thorttle body/carb). I would add one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts