Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on weather or not to use an SDS. I'm planning on getting a 347 crate motor for my Mk.II. A freind had one in his FFR & swore by it. Other people have tried to steer me away saying that they're hard to tune & only programable in 250 rpm increments. I haven't decided on an intake system yet but any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
If you're doing a NA 347 it would be a waste of money IMO unless you're using an intake system that requires it (some sort of speed density setup). I think Wayne's SD stack injection system uses SDS. Also if you're doing a serious forced induction system it may be more worth your while.

If you're using the more typical aftermarket EFI intake components don't overlook a custom chip on the stock ECU as it would probably be just as tunable and you would have a lot more 3rd party tuners around to choose from.

I think those SDS systems are $900 plus. Of course you would save the cost of a good aftermarket MAF so out of pocket would may be lower. I think you have to have an aftermarket ignition box (MSD) but you'll likely get one of those no matter what route you take...

If I were in the market for a complete aftermarket engine management system I would go with whatever has the most 3rd party support (forums, pro tuners, etc.) FAST is a good alternative to look at.

Lots of rambling there, hope it helps.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
949 Posts
Andrew... have you visited the SDS site? They're in your neck of the woods.

http://sdsefi.com/

Also the ones who did a lot of work with SDS applications on Fords.... also in Canada....

http://wmsracing.com/ talk w/Shannon

great people

If you want to stick with EFI/MAF and a carb look check out Quality Roadster's new setup which doesn't require an aftermarket EMS.

[ October 05, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: al solomko ]

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
I agree with Sergio. Drop Wayne a line verycoolparts.com

I also originally planned on going with SDS or a couple other EFI systems out there. I was planning on building a custom turbo setup. Then I just decided to "try" a carb & it looks like I'm gonna keep it that way...soo simple

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the SDS and Wayne's stacks. After nearly a year of dyno time and wide band highway time I am finally happy with it. I can't speak about SDS with other intakes, but the combination of the stacks and the SDS is not very user friendly. If I had to do it again and had more money, I would go with MOTEC or another system with a "brain". The people at SDS were helpful but had no experience with the stack system. Wayne is very good at tuning with the SDS and actually rode with me to get it dialed in with his wide band.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
The SDS system does work well but needs a wide band O2 sensor to effectively program it. The Redline and Electromotive TEC 3 systems are more versitile with more tuning features. The TEC 3 will almost tie your shoes for you.The SDS plug in system is $1095, Redline fuel only is $1195, The redline fuel and spark control is $1295 and the TEC 3 is $2450. It's hard to beat the Redline's features for the price for a naturally aspirated motor. Blown, I would use the TEC 3 everytime.

[ October 05, 2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Presley ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts