Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an idea for an aftermarket rev limiter. The Summit switch could activate a normally closed relay to disrupt power to the fuel pump and/or coil. I'm running GM HEI with a carb so I can't think of an easier way to protect the engine from my right foot.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D830449&N=700+4294849264+115&autoview=sku

Now, anyone have any great ideas for traction control on a carbed car? Seems it should be possible for a single aftermarket unit to provide throttle feedback for traction control based on measured wheel spin like the Audiovox cruise control units. Having owned cars like this in the past I think traction control will keep me out of more accidents than ABS will (though that may be added in the future also, based on the Corral article an ABS upgrade looks simple enough).

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
I've got the crane hi 6 ignition with a carbed 460. The rev limiter is built into the unit and configurable.

Snake

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Steve Bisson:
My traction control is my right foot. So far, it has worked with minimun expense.
So far, if it fails just once the results could be mightly expensive. It's cost me a quarter panel in the past, hopefully I've gotten smarter since then.

I know there are other ways to limit revs but this is the first one I've come across that costs only $40 in addition to a $125 HEI distributor. Not that I'm saying this would work:) May be too sudden a cutoff (coil power) or not quick enough (fuel pump). But for $40 I may give it a whirl sometime in the future.

Now what I was really hoping for was a response from Rod telling me how to make a traction control unit out of a universal remote control, paper clips and a module from an '82 Renault that he came across in the junk yard.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Yes, that switch would work great. But I would put it in the ignition, not the fuel. You don't want it to lean out at high rpm's.

Use two switches, one 200rpm below the first. The first one triggers a red warning light. The second one cuts the ignition.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
The sudden cutout of ignition will put alot of fuel in the pipes and then ignite when it turns back on. Makes alot of noise and posible damage the exhaust system. The MSD alternates cylinders that it cuts out to limit the amount of fuel in any one pipe. I do believe in limiters, none of my engines leave without one. The MSD's have proven to work the best for me. Just a thought. I like the two switch idea, kind of like a shift light isn't it?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
Man - that Bang when the fuel ignites in your sidepipes is going to be Awesome....

Jason get a MSD6AL, insert the chip of your choice and forget about it. The issues I see with the set up you are discussing are two fold - one, raw fuel dumped into your pipes if the ignition is simply cut will ignite when it comes back on KerPow!! and two - if the fuel pump is cut you stand a good chance of going lean and burning a piston/valve etc.

Do they have problems, I've read a few things here about MSD's going bad - but mine is four years old and, as you know, not very gently used - no problems and I hit the limiter all the time.

My .02 CDN

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts