Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I built #2335 I always had folks ask, "Hey, What Colors Did You Use"? I always considered the question as a Compliment. I did have a couple of people ask, "Do You Mind If I Paint My Car The Same Color"? I would respond with, "Heck No, Why Would I"? I have always said if the was another FFR it Would Be SILVER. I guess I need to apologize for possibly ruffling a couple owners feathers by asking what color they used. I considered painting the FFR the same Silver as my C6 but I think a couple shades darker will show off the lines better.

My questions are;

1. Is it OK to ask about Colors?

2. What Silver/Gray metallic are out there?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have no issue with people asking about paint colors. To find my color I visited a couple of big car lots and when I found what I liked, I asked a salesman to open the door so that I could get the paint code. When I explained why, he was happy to help.

Mercedes Iridium Silver - paint code C775

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
x2 on M-B Iridium Silver. IMO it's the brightest, truest silver (no under tones of bronze/grey/blue), plus it has the deepest metallic. Choosing DaBat didn't hurt either.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ac cobra Coupé

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,646 Posts
To add to JRT's comment, we decided on silver and then the question was what silver. I worked at a Lexus dealer at the time. One day I looked out at the shop and saw 4 silver cars there, various models and various years. They were all different. Silver is like white. There are a lot of shades (darker/lighter) and there are a ton of tints (bronze, blue, green, etc). That MB color gets a lot of mentions on this forum so I think it is a solid choice.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have a MX5 (Crossover) that's Liquid Silver and for some reason I hadn't considered it.

Just came back from having dinner with my Sister in Surfside Beach (South Myrtle Beach) she has a newer Benz that's silver but I am almost sure it's not the Iridium Silver. It seems to be a shade darker than the MX5. I think I'm going to drive the C6 and find a newer Mercedes parked somewhere and study the two. I want a little Black tint.

On #2335 I was looking at the Dupont Paint Chip Book and picked the Viper Blue out. #3917 was an RX-7 (darker) Red metallic. #7787 will have black side pipes and plan a Breeze SS roll bar.

My GF said to match the wheel centers.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Check out Tesla's silver. Close to Iridium. You really need to see silvers outside in the sun, when they show off the Cobra Curves

·
FFCobra Captain
11,722 Posts
Also look at the color at dusk. Some silvers can look a bit flat and grey at that time of day. The painter I used said it was because of the pearl used in some of them.

On my first ffr, I used a 2000 VW Beetle silver...it had no pearl at all and was the brightest silver we could find.

These pictures don't do it justice...it looks flatter here than it did in person.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
2. What Silver/Gray metallic are out there?

A little more difficult to ask, as there are over 2,500 different automotive "silver/gray metallic" paint mixes out there.

Every time a paint code is mixed for an overall paint job, it changes just a bit unless you have an anal painter who mixes his batch to the tenth of a gram.

Bill S.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Jaguar Glacier Silver Blue Metallic - DuPont Imports JKH
Chrysler Blaze Red also called Inferno - DuPont P2234

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
My Coyote powered MKIV has a base color or Lamborghini Titanium (PPG 35989) with a custom stripe color which started with the PPG 35989 and removed all of the T409 (one of two blacks in the formulation) to lighten up the base closer to true silver. The base is a darker silver metallic. I was looking for more subtle stripes that blended with the base but were not ghosted. Paint work all done by Da Bat...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ac cobra Sports car

Vehicle Car Ac cobra Automotive exterior Classic car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Ac cobra

Hood Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Kevin

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little more difficult to ask, as there are over 2,500 different automotive "silver/gray metallic" paint mixes out there.

Every time a paint code is mixed for an overall paint job, it changes just a bit unless you have an anal painter who mixes his batch to the tenth of a gram.

Bill S.
Are you attempting to take a poke at me for loosing the Auction? I always think, "If I'm not offering Help, Then Delete The Comment". There's Thousands of shades of every color. Thanks for your help in pointing that out!

OK. I was honestly thinking a darker silver until looking at pictures. Dan Babb the VW silver might be the color. I've tried to study silvers in traffic but it's difficult. I was considering the Mercedes silver until today.

Thanks!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My favorite in the silver pallette is the Lambo Titanium that Kevin mentioned. It has a lot more depth and "life" than many of the silvers which just kind of lay there.

Cheers,
Jeff
Jeff, that Is the Exact Shade of Silver I had in mind. Now I need to decide. Thanks for posting the picture.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Are you attempting to take a poke at me for loosing the Auction? I always think, "If I'm not offering Help, Then Delete The Comment". There's Thousands of shades of every color. Thanks for your help in pointing that out!

OK. I was honestly thinking a darker silver until looking at pictures. Dan Babb the VW silver might be the color. I've tried to study silvers in traffic but it's difficult. I was considering the Mercedes silver until today.

Thanks!
Nope, not at all, not even sure where that or you came from with your comments. These days, I prefer the short and sweet response, less drama, less stress, but since you feel I made a snide remark in my original post, I'll expand it, hopefully you'll understand why I posted what I did above afterwards.

Where I was coming from: As an retired body shop owner, I used to get people coming in with pictures printed from the internet saying "I want this color" :001_rolleyes: When I would sit down with them with what I called "the easy paint color book" and started going through different shades and codes with them, some got it, others did not. When I started pulling out 1 of 20 binders full of similar shades of a specific color, then, and only then, did they get it. When I made my 2,500+ comment, I meant it, especially when it comes to the color Silver. Also, while we are on the subject of comparing colors, keep in mind that what you see as one color on your monitor is actually nothing like it, unless of course you have a $10,000 color correcting monitor in front of you. Get out to your local "Motor Mile", and start looking at new and used cars, the ones you like, write down the code. This is your best bet, when it comes to color choices.

With that said, this is the only real way to differentiate colors between paint codes, alternate paint codes. As a perfect example would be Ford "UA" color code (Black), which believe it or not has 9 alternate mixes to it, and that is just between 2004-2010. You'll say black is black, but it's really not that easy when it comes to painting a car. Since we are on the subject of Silver, I'll use the perfect example, say a 2010 Ford Explorer (mine :001_tongue:), with a color code of "UL", which has 19 alternate mixes (these are for different days, months where the color was offered, each color run is slightly different, and it shows), and that is just for that color code, for that year.

So, as you can see, my response to you the OP, was dead on, and accurate. Might not have been explained in detail as this post is, but it hit the basics.

I do wish you the best of luck with your search for the perfect color/shade.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

·
Mustang Convert
1,282 Posts
My favorite in the silver pallette is the Lambo Titanium that Kevin mentioned. It has a lot more depth and "life" than many of the silvers which just kind of lay there.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, the color depth was one of my considerations on choosing the Lamborghini Titanium.

Another consideration is the metallic between the base and stripes. Using the same base but removing some of the black for the stripes ensured that the metallic flake was the same between the base and stripes. Different bases have different size metallic flake and reflective properties which might become noticeable. Not an issue is you are going non-metallic stripes though (like the black in the picture you posted).

Kevin

·
Registered
854 Posts
2000 Lexus platinum metallic

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.