Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did both pass & drivers floor and footbox this past weekend and I have a problem. I used a tube of silicone caulk that I had in my garage for another project and it doesn't seem to be curing. I trashed it after the driver's side but should I drill out all those rivets and start over? Will I have issues? I'd rather do it now than later when a problem surfaces.

Lesson of the day. Use new tube of caulk!

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I am thinking that I would redo it. I have taken apart panels where the caulk has cured, and it does a great job of bonding the panels. Yours will probably never leak, but if you ever need a little extra strength in the footbox, you will probably be sorry you didn't start over.

·
6,546 Posts
Some other silicon notes:

There are expiration dates on the tubes.

Don't let it freeze in the garage.

It cleans up super easy with denatured alcohol.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Grover-
That wasn't GE Silicone II was it? I was rather peeved when I had to remove all the trunk floor and side aluminum and clean up uncured silicon. I called GE, and if the silicone is past the expiration date, it will never cure. The lady I talked to went into a damage control mode very quickly, seems like she had had that conversation many times before.

I feel rather strongly that the expiration date and the significance of that expiration date should be noted a little more plainly.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
grover:
Better/easier done now than later. Changed out my driver's side floor panel and let me tell you that separating a panel when the silicone has cured is not a pleaseant task and that was only after several months. Thanks, OZONA for the info about denatured alcohol. Will have to get some because I know that this will definitely not be the last time I do this.

Allan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.