Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Benched
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was test fitting my sidepipes and the passenger side is tilted up and the drivers side is tilted down.

Can I just enlongate the holes in the headers to make then even or maybe use smaller bolts?

They are almost 2" out of being level.

I did a search but could not find this particular problem.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Mike....2" is a lot - even if measured at the end of the sidepipe. To answer your question I would not elongate the holes in your headers. Forgive my basic answer (sometimes we overlook the simple things) If one side is up and one side is down it could be that your engine is not sitting in the mounts correctly (this would effect both sides equally)?

The side pipes are welded together in 3 pieces (are these straight)?

You can buy tapered shims that go between the side pipe and headers and will correct this kind of thing (but not 2" variations). Most guys have one side or the other that is off but not both ... especially not both equally.

If all else proves OK it has to be in the pipe bending which a decent muffler shop or perhaps yourself could untwist if you have a torch.

A final idea is to borrow (if possible) a local guys uninstalled headers, pipes and swap out one by one to see what is causing your problems. Then return defective units to FFR.

Good Luck from Michigan.... This should be our year for football - loads of great returning talent.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
If you can't shift your engine to level them, try using 5/16 bolts at the header to side pipe junction, assuming you are using 4 into 4 headers. they should give you enough wiggle room to align the pipes to the body. Gas-n and Breeze sell alignment wedges, but they will only work to bring the tip of the pipe towards or away from the body.

·
Benched
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin,

My sidepipes are the gas-n-go pipes. I bought one of the first sets.

Because of the way they are tilted shims will do no good. They have to twist.

It's hard to explain but imagine if the engine were two blocks of wood. One block for each side. Now if you take those and twist them just a hair, one side would be up in the back and the other side would be down. That is what my pipes look like.

Because each side is off the same but in different directions I tend to think it was a problem with the flange of the sidepipes.

I think I'll start looking around and see if I can borrow another pair of sidepipes to see if that is the problem.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
MIke, your header to side pipe flange is probably welded wrong. The Gas-n pipes flange most likely are correct. You should already have the 5/16" bolts that are supplied with the Gas-n pipes, and they should allow some adjustment room. The header flange is drilled for 3/8" bolts, so using a 5/16 bolt will give you some adjustment room. If you still have your FFR side pipes, bolt them on for a test fit. If they have the same misalignment, it's the headers that are welded wrong, not the side pipes. My left side header was so far off, I couldn't bolt the pipes on without the end hitting the body. Fortunately the alignment wedges corrected my problem. John

It looks like your build buddy does a good job as doubling for a wheel chock. Keeps the chassis buck from rolling around. ;)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Ahhh... I see... I see.... Now that I see your pipe/headers are coated ....forget my idea about putting the torch to them.... for sure it is the flange..... the question is which one. My bet is on the header flange. I would try opening up the flange holes a bit (both sides) .... perhaps with a slightly larger pattern of hole diameters + the smaller bolts, you will be able to hit the target.

Let us know how you make out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts