Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about including another set of mufflers into my db/dyno tests. I will need to cut off the existing muffler and then attach the new ones. However, i dont own a tig welder and was wondering if there is a way to clamp a muffler onto the existing tube. Is it possible to expand the new muffler end sections with an expansion tool and then clamp them onto the existing pipe sections(front and tailpipe)?? Or, should i just go ahead and plan on welding them??

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maddog. My father has an expanding tool as well, but i didnt know if the metal around the tips of these mufflers might be too thick to expand.
Also, I am out of town currently-could someone please tell me what size clamps i would need to clamp the portion outlined above to the exisiting tubes??
If i can pull this off with the clamps it would allow me to dyno test the pipes with the louvers pointing in both directions.
Thanks!

·
Master "Gear Head"
434 Posts
Cobrastang,,
You can get "band clamps" that will do that. The make a version for butt joints and ones that go on over slip fit. For a more permanent solution welding is a good idea but the band clamps can seal quite well and with a lot of force. Summit/Jegs and others sell them. HTH.

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
There are tools for doing what you want and I would think any decent muffler shop should have them. They come in different size ranges so yould need one for 3-1/2" pipe. Looks like the bottom tool here.

Cheers, Rod

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!
What size clamps do i want?? 3", or 3-1/2",

I forget the size of the pipes at the point where i will be clamping them and i am currently out of town and cannot measure my own pipes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts