Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I was a "victim" of the dreaded fatigue cracks around the mounting point on the side pipes. So I pulled them ground off the ceramic coating welded and touched up with high-temp paint. I did a search and see where there are several fixes. My thought based on the different fixes is to get the Dark Water Customs hangers and to ONLY insert one bolt in the tab on the side pipe itself. I see were some, including Richard Oben, recommend this. My question is to the folks who did this: Was this a permanent fix? Did the stress cracks return? My thoughts based on the searches are that if I simply weld it and connect everything back up that the stress cracks will return.

Thanks, Russ.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,091 Posts
What headers are you using? I have the j-pipes with the dark water hangers. If I remove one of the sidepipe hanger bolts my pipes sag. So using both bolts and no cracks yet.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,619 Posts
Are you using just one bolt left a little loose in the sidepipe mount?

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running J-Pipes. Before I noticed the cracks I had everything tight, but now I had planned to put only one bolt in the sidepipe mount (on the actual sidepipe itself) and leave it slightly loose. I was just wondering if anyone had done this fix and had run a few thousand miles without any further issues?

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,619 Posts
One of mine started to crack at the lower end of the flange welded to the pipe. This was 7 years ago when the problem was just becoming known. I removed one bolt and left the other loose. The little crack has not progressed one bit in 7 years/16K miles. I believe it's a viable fix.

Greg

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Greg.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
The best fix is to run 4 into 4's and don't use hangers. :)

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The best fix is to run 4 into 4's and don't use hangers. :)
LOL that's not a "fix" I can afford right now.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
just another builder
8,223 Posts
drill a small hole at the ends of the cracks, it should stop it from cracking more...even if you weld it up the holes will relieve some stress....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.