Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently there was a thread concerning the sidepipe
mounting tab failing. And the replies indicated that it has happened to more than just one of us.
http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/089372.html?
Mine are exhibiting the same symptoms. The previous post replies dealt more with repairing the pipes than finding a cause. I couldn't accept that it "just happened" in only 5k miles. So hopefully my fix will address what I see as the cause, at least on my car. The drivers side was the worst so the pics just show it, but it has happened on both sides,and I have repaired both sides as shown. The first problem is lack of clearance that I should have taken care of when I installed the mount. The engine is as low as it will go with the poly mounts and I installed the hanger according to the manual. The passenger side is lower and shows no evidence of hitting the frame. So this side is partly my fault.

As I was under the car trying to figure out what was happening I pushed up on the end of the pipe and saw the mount actually move out on the top and in on the bottom on the side of the pipe.

This is what I did to hopefully relieve the stress on the side of the pipe.

The pipes will still need to have some welding to repair the damage but hopefully this will help to keep it from happening again.
And I'll apologize now for not being able to explain it better than this. If anyone has any questions please post them here or PM me.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Good idea. You must be an engineer; you think like one ;)

But I wouldn't use a nylock nut on an exhaust system. What if it melts? I would use a deformed lock nut.

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the nylock since they came with the kit.
But you're probably right.
I'll replace it with the type you mention.
Thanks for the input.
I wish I was an engineer,then I would have seen this coming! :D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,526 Posts
Used nylock on the sidepipe bracket for a couple of years with no melting or other problems.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have smokes a couple of nylocks on my exhaust system, but at the cat flanges which are theoretically hotter than the hanger mounting point, so ditto on the deformed nuts.

I learned recently about (and obtained though I have not mounted them yet) the front-of-the- exhaust hangers available from Dark Water Customs. Depending on the exact nature of the issue you describe here, those might be useful. The extra hangers will certainly reduce stresses in the exhaust system, and they facilitate alignment (i.e. leveling) of the pipes. Check those out if you aren't familiar with them. Good luck.

·
Daily Driver since 2/03
995 Posts
Have someone push up & down on the pipes where they exit the body and watch the cracks. I think the problem is that there is no support at the body exit and the weight of the pipes causes it to bounce and torque the hanger when you hit bumps. I've suffered through 8 cracks and breaks in 3 years (usually at the cats but twice at the supports). No more breakage after adding the body exit support for over a year now.

·
Junior Charter Member
59 Posts
Interesting - I've never looked at the bracket setup on one of these before. One thing I can see from the pics above that would improve the setup would be to enlarge the holes on the welded-on muffler bracket, & the frame bracket & use a poly bushing & sleeve setup, then run the bolts through the sleeve. This way you would have 2 points of support directly at the muffler & a little dampening. Vibration dampening at the muffler & the pivot point would take a LOT of stress off the bracket that's welded to the muffler. Peterbilt trucks use something similar to this to "pad" the mounting areas between the cab & stack pipes.

·
Junior Charter Member
474 Posts
Hey Guys why not just run a band around the pipe and then attach the hanger to the band. No stress on the wall of the side pipes, right? AND if you run heat shields over the top of the pipes the band wouldn't even be seen.
Stan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.