Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the body on and for the most part it fits good, but I seem to have a big issue with the sidepipe cutouts. They seem to be off by about an inch to the rear on both sides. I can't even get close to putting the pipes back on.

Now I understand I may need to work the cutouts some, but does this seem excessive?

The cockpit fits on the dash and the rear wall very well, so it would seem I don't have much fore/aft movement I can play with.

This is with the headers and cutouts done at the factory.

I don't want to start hacking up the body if I don't need to. Any tips or insight on this is appreciated:)

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Agree with the comments from Jeff and Mike. I will add that yes, the cutouts are somewhat undersized, so some trimming is required. Also, the cutouts will be slightly behind the header outlet due to the curve of the side pipes. I haven't actually measured, but I would estimate around 1/2 inch. Put the splash panels in and see if that gets you in the ballpark with a little trimming. If not, then something else is wrong.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,146 Posts
On my MKII, all of the factory cutouts were sort of generic, and all needed tweaking. Pete

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using stock mounts, engine/trans is 331/TKO600. I did have some issues with the tranny mount lining up, but I did get it without modifying anything.

I don't believe I would have to cut into the flares. Moving the lower body around allowed me to get the fit closer but still not quite there. So maybe not quite as bad as I originally thought.

I will put the splash shields on and see if that helps. Also, measuring the height of the header flange to the ground shows the engine is not quite level. So I will work on that as well.

Thanks for the insights.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
Most common things overlooked are the little pins that are on the engine mount. It's fairly easy to get the bolts into the mounts but sometimes it takes a little jiggling (with a crow bar!) to force the engine mount pins into the frame mounts. Hope that's all it is. The exhaust opening cutout (at the factory) is actually set up to use the Mustang headers and "J" pipes to mount the side exhaust. "J" pipes have much more adjustability to them then headers do, and are smaller, but usually any other style of header treatment other then the "J" pipe requires some cutting. Shouldn't have to get into the flare though. Any pics?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.