Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to take my sidepipes for chroming next week.
FFR sidepipes are fiberglass muffled as I recall.
With the chroming process have any bad effects on the fiberglass? Won't clog it up will it?
Do I need to ask the shop to somehow pluug up the ends?
Maybe a stupid question but these are the kinds of things that come up when you're in unfamiliar territory.
Thaks for the input.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had my pipes done in 1997, still fine. They just dripped for 4 or 5 days. Now I have a spare used set I want to get chromed, and nobody wants to do them because they don't want the carbon to get in their tanks. Anyway good luck

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
Chroming will ruin the batting. It's just fiberglass mat; similar in design to fiberglass insulation but a lot heavier threads with a looser packing. Imagine what would happen to a piece of insulation material if it was run through the chroming process.

I'm not sure how it survives the ceramic coating process. Maybe it doesn't, and that's why it's so loud.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,042 Posts
I have had 3 sets done and they are much louder than the ceramic coated pipes. All 3 sets rusted in the middle of the 4 pipes in the front in a couple of months. They do look great on the car.
Jeff Hamilton

·
3,875 Posts
Chrome shops install plugs inside the tubes and I agree 100% with Aaron go with lobaks as they will never wear out.
Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts