Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That expanded aluminum mesh that is supplied for the hood vents leaves a little to be desired. Are these typical of the actual car(s)? Has anyone tried an alternative and if so post a link or pictures? Thanks, John.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't forget, the "actual" cars were race cars with function first and beauty second. You will find many pictures of the original coupes with just a hole here. I certainly think there is some room for improvement though. There are several that have integrated roadster style vents.

Todd

·
Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
The mesh supplied can be made to look pretty good. Get a piece of 1/4" ply wood or particle board. Cut it so it there is about a 1/4" gap in all around it when it's in the hole. Lay the board on a solid surface the lay the mesh over it square. Use a soft mallet and gently mold the edges over the board so the overlay is flat on the table/floor. This will bring the mesh out flush with the surface of the car. Makes it look really nice...

·
Registered
588 Posts
The mesh supplied can be made to look pretty good. Get a piece of 1/4" ply wood or particle board. Cut it so it there is about a 1/4" gap in all around it when it's in the hole. Lay the board on a solid surface the lay the mesh over it square. Use a soft mallet and gently mold the edges over the board so the overlay is flat on the table/floor. This will bring the mesh out flush with the surface of the car. Makes it look really nice...
Hey Robbie, that's an awesome idea - I think I'm going to do that too. Thanks!

·
Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
Hey Robbie, that's an awesome idea - I think I'm going to do that too. Thanks!
Thanks. The good thing is if you goof it up, it's cheap!

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
Do you have to cut the corners or will they also bend to shape without cutting?

Marc

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Don't forget, the "actual" cars were race cars with function first and beauty second. You will find many pictures of the original coupes with just a hole here. I certainly think there is some room for improvement though. There are several that have integrated roadster style vents.

Todd
And the holes on the originals weren't all shaped the same either. At least one had the top of them round and the corner radius wasn't the same on them. I think they followed the "if it looks good it is good" rule of thumb.

·
Premium Member
8,267 Posts
I used stainless steel 1/4" screen, looks much cleaner IMHO. I used it for the cutout behind the bubble also and the body was very thick so I did something similar to Robbie only I used an ID piece of wood and smaller OD piece with radiused edges and pressed the screen. Looks really good. There are pictures of all of this at my wink flash photoos linked below

·
Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
Do you have to cut the corners or will they also bend to shape without cutting?

Marc
Just mold them over. And be really gentle. Your not trying to force them just persuade them...

You could round the corners. That would make it easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.