Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting to old to listen to the racket from the side pipes. My hearing is going and I am tired of wearing ear plugs. Does anyone know how to muffle the pipe. I am thinking of an old pair of socks.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,369 Posts
Under-car exhaust?

There are some vendors who sell quieter mufflers/sidepipes

·
Junior Charter Member
218 Posts
I am getting to old to listen to the racket from the side pipes. My hearing is going and I am tired of wearing ear plugs. Does anyone know how to muffle the pipe. I am thinking of an old pair of socks.
The simplest way is to buy a Prius.

krusty

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,369 Posts
Idea:

Keep the sidepipes, and do the hidden tail-pipe trick. Cut a 2.5" hole in the rear of the pipe past the muffler, and route it to the back of the car, like the original tailpipes of the 289 & 427 street Cobras. Block off the exit of the muffler after the opening, so you get the sidepipe look, but the noise exits out the back.

Reactions: Bobm488

·
Senior Charter Member
3,609 Posts
Simple and inexpensive "CC Inserts" did it for us. But we are a bone stock 5.0.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Charter Member
3,483 Posts
I have had two different FFR side pipes, FFR cats, and the CC inserts, finally decided on under car exhaust with cats, issue resolved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm going to photograph and post what I did on my Mark IV with a Coyote 5.0 and FFR stainless side pipes. I was able to install a 12 inch Cherry Bomb Glass packs into the interior of the FFR side pipes. I did have to cut the Stainless steel extension behind the "muffler" but a 3" stainless steel after market polished extension from Amazon covered the red Glass pack. the only way you can tell is the clamp bolt on the Extension. To release the 5.0 beast the glass pack can be quickly removed, I'm happy with the mod. it was cheap and affective.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to photograph and post what I did on my Mark IV with a Coyote 5.0 and FFR stainless side pipes. I was able to install a 12 inch Cherry Bomb Glass packs into the interior of the FFR side pipes. I did have to cut the Stainless steel extension behind the "muffler" but a 3" stainless steel after market polished extension from Amazon covered the red Glass pack. the only way you can tell is the clamp bolt on the Extension. To release the 5.0 beast the glass pack can be quickly removed, I'm happy with the mod. it was cheap and affective.
Thanks. That seems to be the answer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update.... I tried the Auger style baffle, but after running the car, I noticed the engine was not happy with the back pressure . The result was a popping idle with severe rough running at various RPM. The Augers are coming out today, the final test being yesterday. Hopefully I can figure out how post the photos of the little glass-packs on this discussion. I'll get back to you....CE

·
Registered
27 Posts
I when back to the Shorty 7 inch 2 inch bore glass pack muffler. The auger style baffle caused missing, poor idle and backfire, probably because of the back flow resonance wave and general restriction of the exhaust flow. It seems as if the Coyote ECU was receiving inconsistent information from the Oxygen sensor causing the disrupted engine run. And the thing was not reducing noise like I expected, bad idea.

I reinstalled the Glass pack and am once again very happy with the noise reduction, reduced exhaust bark and sound quality. The idle sound is mellow and stable and engine produces linear power and no backfire, on down shifts.

The ECU is very happy. On full throttle acceleration, things get little insane, but what do you expect from 450 hp? A bit of explanation: the twisted wire is the handle of a 2" industrial stainless steel brush I added to help mellow the sound, I think it helps a little.

The 3 1/2 inch Stainless steel exhaust extension bought on Amazon that allows for the short glass pack to be installed inside, just after the muffler. From a few feet away this extension has the identical look the original FFR tail pipe exit.

Ok, that"s about it from here. If anyone needs further information such as part numbers and sources I would be happy to help.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I when back to the Shorty 7 inch 2 inch bore glass pack muffler. The auger style baffle caused missing, poor idle and backfire, probably because of the back flow resonance wave and general restriction of the exhaust flow. It seems as if the Coyote ECU was receiving inconsistent information from the Oxygen sensor causing the disrupted engine run. And the thing was not reducing noise like I expected, bad idea.

I reinstalled the Glass pack and am once again very happy with the noise reduction, reduced exhaust bark and sound quality. The idle sound is mellow and stable and engine produces linear power and no backfire, on down shifts. View attachment 362708
The ECU is very happy. On full throttle acceleration, things get little insane, but what do you expect from 450 hp? A bit of explanation: the twisted wire is the handle of a 2" industrial stainless steel brush I added to help mellow the sound, I think it helps a little.
View attachment 362709
View attachment 362710
View attachment 362711
The 3 1/2 inch Stainless steel exhaust extension bought on Amazon that allows for the short glass pack to be installed inside, just after the muffler. From a few feet away this extension has the identical look the original FFR tail pipe exit.
View attachment 362712
Ok, that"s about it from here. If anyone needs further information such as part numbers and sources I would be happy to help.
This is a great idea, and if using heat shields, completely hidden

Reactions: Rivet1949

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had not thought of that, but you are right. I am still a little surprised that FFR does not offer a track version, which is what we are getting [very loud] and an option for a street version [mellow and quite]. It would be so easy for them to create, test and approve a street version at the contractor level. Heck, I am sure a lot of builders would opt. for the quieter version even at extra cost, I sure would!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would too.
Have you done any sound level measurements before and after? NIOSH has a sound level meter (SLM) app for the iPhone. I have the stock FFR side pipes with Blueprint 347 engine and I’m getting instantaneous sound levels at 110 dB(A), way too loud for the street. My RAM 1500 clocks in at a comfortable 65 dB(A). Wind noise alone would be higher than 65dB(A) but I’d be interested to know how much the Breeze, Gas-n or Boig quieted touring street pipes would cut the sound level down too?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have not used a sound level meter on the installation of the little glass pack mufflers before or after. but I can tell you that the sound is about 50% quiter than before with the wide open side pipe. My fix for the Cobra was for financial reasons and I did not want to start all over on the header exhaust system, as anyone will tell you, installing the FFR side pipe on the Coyote engine is very difficult, due to access to the header bolts!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts

I don’t know if these are still available but they work very well for me and they are a lot cooler to the touch as well. You would have to cut up your existing pipes and have these welded in but it was worth the cost to me.

You can actually have a conversation in the car with these but they still sound good when you get on it

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts