Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody run across this issue with their side pipes going "down hill"? Gen 3 with a Coyote. If so I'd be very interested in knowing any work arounds

Attachments

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
The usual solution with that is to either go one size smaller on the header to pipe attachment bolts. Or file out one side of the holes in either the headers or the side pipes. Or both. Enough to allow the side pipes to rotate to the proper alignment. It doesn't take much. You may end up with a slight misalignment between the outlet of the headers and the inlet of the side pipes. But typically isn't enough to affect anything.

Yet another example of why Factory Five is now selling headers with a ball end adjustment. Somewhat new, and still haven't seen them in person or on any builds. But in theory would make an adjustment like this simple to do.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Run a drill bit one size larger through the bolt holes on the pipes and you will be able to align the side pipes. Quick and easy.
David W

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Side pipe alignment consideration

My FFR is actually a Cobra that I built and registered as of 2004. Since then (and very recently, after 21,000 miles on the odo.) I have had some sagging on the driver's side pipe. Interestingly perhaps, this car is equipped with cats simply to tone down the exhaust note a bit (this worked very well). The cat has a ball connection at the header, and that feature is very helpful in getting proper alignment of the pipe. I noticed that within the last where few weeks where a lower FFR pipe brace had its weld crack at the muffler. That weld repair and subsequent pipe realignment really underscored the helpfulness of the ball connection in getting the right pipe alignment. I should think that technique would work with a Coupe as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts