Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driver side pipe is 6.5 inches off ground at the tip. Passenger is 3.5 inches. Body doesnt fit over pipes on driver side. Engine is flush on mounts. Any suggestions. I trimmed the body slightly to get body on. Probably a mistake.

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
Skunkman,

Are the pipes parallel to the ground? If so, probably not the side pipe.

Is the engine level? Check height from tip of the header on each side. If that is off, either the engine is not level or bad header. If that isn't right, measure from a point on either side of the engine block, maybe heads, and see if that is level.

You'll find it.

Snake

·
Registered
11,828 Posts

hi, this is your photo, right? the driver's sidepipe looks pretty parallel to the ground.

1. be sure your ride height is okay, you never know, and this can cause 1" of your total difference

2. are the flanges of the sidepipe and header square? if all four bolts are loose, the sidepipe might have been "hanging" a little crooked before you snugged everything down. this can cause another 1" or so at the tip.

3. most everyone's sidepipes are a little un-even, so that's another inch or so. remember that when the engine torques, the driver's side goes up, and the passenger side goes down, so if anything, let the passenger side be just a little high.

4. even though you say the motor mounts are snug, they may have squished in place in a weird way. here is how you can nudge the engine a LITTLE: prop a 2x4 between the bock and floor jack. loosen the engine mount. raise the floor jack just a little little bit to relieve pressure on the motor mount. use a C-clamp to squish down the mount as shown (driver's side shown.) tighten the bolt and let the engine down.

moving the bolt DOWN makes that side of the engine go UP. you can play with the passenger side mount also. once again, use this for MINOR adjustments to solve SOME of your problem.

~ e d d i e

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
p.s. if you can't tell, the clamp is on top of the motor mount, and the the bottom of the mount on the frame. you can even see the old curved line from where the washer used to be. looks like i squished it down 3/8" or so.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
You can typically have either a level engine, or level pipes..but not both. Do as Larry suggested and aet your ride height first, then level the pipes side to side measuring from the tip of the headers, then level the pipes front to back by adjux sting the angle where they bolt to the headers. Some have had to enlarge the holes here a little to gain adjustment. To my knowledge having the engine tilted slightly wont hurt performance, and wont be noticed by anyone but yourself.

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
for more adjustment you can change the size of the bolts that connect to the 4x4's, they give 3/8 but if you change them to 5/16 you will be amazed at how much the pipes move at the other end. move the motor on the mounts first to get as much adjustment as possible.
chas

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
I messed with mine for several days, including, making the holes in the engine mount longer, elongating the holes for the bolts where the pipes bolt to cats, and so on. Finally, after I got it as good as I could with all of those things, I took a floor jack and jacked up the low one. Do it a little at a time and see where it settles to before doing it again.

The one pipe still is not parallel to the body, but it is parallel to the ground.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
I am having the same problem, I had to send back my original header because the flange at the end where the side pipe bolts on was welded crooked, at that time both side pipes were about the same hight from the floor, after I got the replacement header from FFR the drivers side is now 3 inches higher from the floor than the passenger side, I called FFR about this and I was informed that FFR is having a proble with Hooker, I was told they had to send back 2 pallets of headers because they were welded wrong. So I would double check your headers, measure from the floor to the end of the header, they should be about the same hight from the floor, if not then I would guess you have one of the bad headers. I am not the only person thats had this problem.
Lile

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The engine is very close to level. Theheader bolts are the same height. The tip of the header is 1.25 inches higher on the driver side. Clearly a header issue IMO. The pipes are parallel to the ground. How do I redrill the PS engine mount holes?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Be sure to recheck the ride height, I set mine and after a week or so of on the jack stands, off the jack stands, go karting etc, the ride hght changed by as much as 1 3/4 inches. It was not really noticeable to me sitting in the garage, so I would recheck that, springs shocks etc will settle in
2. if the pipes are parallel to the ground on both sides, and the ride hieght is correct the issue is most likely header defect or it can be adjusted with the engine mounts.

As for redrilling the mounts..... I think you might have to pull the motor to get to them, but maybe you can just pull it up out of the way enough with a cherry picker to grind it out with adremel or die grinder, not fun either way!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
You don't care if the engine is level, it most likely won't be. As others have said, make sure the frame is sitting level first. To fix mine I loosened the bolts that hold the mount to the engine as well as the nut that holds the mount to the frame. This should give enough slop to allow you to rotate the engine (lift on one header and push down on the other). You may have to hold it where you want it while you re-tighten all the hardware to the correct torques. This gave me what I needed. If you still need more you may have to work the frame side of the mounts to get more.

Cheers, Rod

[ November 05, 2007, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
I know that on mine I had to push DOWN on the drivers side of the motor to get the little "pin" on the motor mount to go down into it's slot on the face of the mount on the frame. This means that the pin on both sides is at the limit of it's travel and I cannot rotate the motor either direction w/o modifying something.

I haven't mounted my sidepipes yet, but measuring to the ends of the headers tells me that my passenger side is about an inch low.

My plan to correct leveling issues is to raise one side of the motor by stacking washers between the motor mount and the block and getting longer bolts if necessary. The height added by a couple washers there will make a big difference out at the end of the header. As long as I don't HAVE to lower either side of the motor I should be OK. If I end up needing to lower the whole thing I'll have to raise the motor and use a porta-power to spread the motor mounts apart a bit.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"My plan to correct leveling issues is to raise one side of the motor by stacking washers between the motor mount and the block and getting longer bolts if necessary."

If you raise the low side you may find you have some body fit issues. I did on the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Gecco,
Have you tried loosening the mount to engine bolts a bit before trying to make the adjust and the tightening them back up. I also was not getting enough movement until I did this.

Cheers, Rod

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
Originally posted by dv/dt:
Gecco,
Have you tried loosening the mount to engine bolts a bit before trying to make the adjust and the tightening them back up. I also was not getting enough movement until I did this.

Cheers, Rod
I haven't yet. I'm not even close to the stage where I am needing to solve this problem. I just got the motor in last week and measured the height of the header ends just out of curiosity. They're pretty close, so until I get the sidepipes test fitted I'm not even sure I HAVE a problem. I'll try your way first, though, when the time comes.

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.