Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFR 7469
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search on the title and didn't really see what I was looking for and before I start cutting away at the body, I thought I would look and learn from others on past experience and hopefully pictures.

My question is, how close is to close for the body and the exhaust pipes? When I ordered my MK4, I ordered with FFR performing the body cutouts and like many others, I can't bolt my side pipes on and need to enlarge the cutout. I have read on previous posts where some folks are 1/8" and others as much as 3/4" but wondering what is reality and if anyone has had problems with the pipes to close to the paint and the effects of this issue.

As always, any pictures would certainly help. Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
228 Posts
Back in my early days with Roger Stine we were building turn key Cobras as well as doing just about everything else anyone needed that came to us. The side pipe cut outs always had to be adjusted for clearance for the side pipes with the body on the chassis. I guess somethings never change....

1/4" sounds good - just like you don't want too little - you don't want too much.

Art

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The factory cutouts do not have the necessary clearance. By design so you can fit exactly to your setup. So trimming is normal and necessary. Most agree between 1/2 and 3/4 inch clearance between the pipes and body. My painter insisted on this much clearance. 1/4 inch as some are suggesting sounds too close to me. Remember the driver side will go UP under acceleration. How much depends on the motor mounts you're using.

More in this thread:

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/272917-body-sidepipe-gap.html

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,991 Posts
At the top it's good to have more clearance to allow for engine rock especially on the driver side. At the front and rear 1/4 inch is fine as far as the paint is concerned. At least it has been on mine. Usually the front is the issue as most would rather not grind into the area where the flare starts.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Don't forget to install the elephant ears before trimmng the opening. They can make a big difference.

Tim

·
Registered
567 Posts
Also, clearance is more important to the rear of the pipe as there is more heat back there.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Try to wait on expanding the cut-outs. I found I had to "level" my pipes by angling the engine. I also found that the elephant ears spaced the body out. I also used some wedges from Mark at Breeze to straighten out the pipes. Trim as little as possible to get through these steps - then mark and trim the final opening. It is very difficult to add material back, and filler this close to the pipes may (will :) ) react to the high temps. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.