Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone has noticed the difference, not only with FF own pipes, but FF compared to Gas-N's pipes.

Perry

Gas-n in the background with FF pipes in the fore ground

Another comparison

Gas-n pipes are 2.75" longer

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The last of the comparisons. I thought about changing things up and have a spare set of pipe ceramic coated. I can't get rid of the golden hue from my Gas-N's. I've tried Blue-Job, does a good job for the most part, but a a few hours of running the engine, the golden hue return. I hate that look.

Perry

Another showing the flange height differences

FF welding precision:confused1:

Gas-N Welding

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Perry... I just checked my side pipes for the first time and they are identical to yours. My passenger sits up high like the one in your photo. Looks like I will have to cut mine and reweld it straight but will wait to prefit them first to see which one is out of alignment.
Did your passenger side need the wedge shims?

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
side pipe

When I fitted mine I needed to add an extra flange has a shim and a few tapered shim to get them in the right spot (not the same on both side), so I guess they are all made like this (for a reason! not sure what the answer is). has for the welds the one on my polished stainless where perfect (nothing like the one in your picture)

Cheers

MK4

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The reason it looks longer is because where the header (for the passenger side) is welded to the side pipe is slightly crooked so the way it is sitting makes it look longer. If it were welded straight it would sit the same height as the driver side. DS is straight...
I have yet to figure out if this was welded crooked to compensate for a problem with header or engine alignment or poor workmanship with a crooked jig.
Because it is crooked when the flanges are parallel the exhaust exit point is 2 5/8" off center or it sits on the car it is 2 5/8" closer to the body at the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
After the body went on I found the alignment on my side pipes with the 4 in 4 headers was off. Both sides turned into the body and ended up very close at the back of the doors on both sides. The easy fix was the Breeze shims. I needed 3/4 on the PS and 1/4 on the DS. Now the side pipes are parallel with the rocker on both sides. I thought it was easier than cutting and rewelding.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Perry, the welding on my FFR SS pipes was much better than your pics. The drivers side was nearly perfect when installed but I had to use a wedge (1/4 to 1/8) and a 1/4 spacer between the pipe and j pipe on the passenger side to make things work.

Rocky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.