Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been painting my sidepipes with Krylon BBQ rattle cans every year and it's getting to be a pain (looks good for a couple of months and then starts to flake off) so was thinking about having them ceramic coated this winter. I was wondering what people's experience with this were as well as taking a straw pole on colour (if you have pics all the better). The pipes are currently black (see pics) and I have found a local shop that can ceramic coat them in black. I like the black as it looks more period correct to me, my other choices would be white or silver. Thanks as always in advance for the advice. Scott
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ac cobra Classic car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ac cobra Classic car

·
6,279 Posts
What Jack said. Been using this for years. Prep pipes with light sanding and wipe down with denatured alcohol the let dry. Spay 2-3 coats of BBQ following coating timing instructions. Let dry for 24 hrs. You can take a clean, coarse terrycloth and hand buff for a ceramic like finish or use 000 steel wool.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
A few years ago I switched to Rustoleum SemiGloss black high heat paint. Looks very sharp on my all black roadster. Only place the paint deteriorates is on the curved area immediately behind the wheels. Have to touch up that area every 2000 miles, main pipes last two years before needing "help". Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
I plan on wrapping mine. I've always wanted wrapped pipes and it doesn't work on either of my bikes. If you like black it's an option.

I've been painting my sidepipes with Krylon BBQ rattle cans every year and it's getting to be a pain (looks good for a couple of months and then starts to flake off) so was thinking about having them ceramic coated this winter. I was wondering what people's experience with this were as well as taking a straw pole on colour (if you have pics all the better). The pipes are currently black (see pics) and I have found a local shop that can ceramic coat them in black. I like the black as it looks more period correct to me, my other choices would be white or silver. Thanks as always in advance for the advice. Scott
View attachment 37070 View attachment 37071

·
3,596 Posts
A few years ago I switched to Rustoleum SemiGloss black high heat paint. Looks very sharp on my all black roadster. Only place the paint deteriorates is on the curved area immediately behind the wheels. Have to touch up that area every 2000 miles, main pipes last two years before needing "help". Bob
Same for me! Just a touch up from time to time.

·
6,279 Posts
I plan on wrapping mine. I've always wanted wrapped pipes and it doesn't work on either of my bikes. If you like black it's an option.
that makes sense. :001_rolleyes:

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
White would look really cool on your car, but I would wonder how hard it would be to keep clean. The bend right behind the front wheels does take a pounding.

You could try some of the ceramic spray paints from Eastwood to see if it would hold up better. Proper prep really is the key. Take them off and do it right. Maybe have them sandblasted down to bare metal and start with a fresh surface since you're having flaking issues now.

·
New
1,143 Posts
I've been curious if the white pipes are for the trailer queens. I never thought about them until I saw a pic of one the other day in the Spectra blue ( I think that's the color i'm going with too). Looks so nice but so did the white wheels on my bike. Until I rode it. Scott, where did you get the spinners on your wheels ( Halibrand Cobra III's?).

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have white ceramic on my side pipes, and they have held up well for 5 yrs, 5000 mi. They will yellow a little, closer to the engine, but have been happy overall.

Don H

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
It took a bit of work to prep my side pipes before painting, but I guess it paid off. Three years and they still look like new.:)

Your problem is not likely the paint, more so, the prep work.

Blue car with white stripes, do look pretty good with the white pipes.
I like the titanium too. Never seen that particular shade of color used before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.