Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of side louvers other then what came from ffr. What I would really like is a set that has a bezel on the outside, similar to the trim that goes around wind sheild post so it looks more finished when installed in the body openings. Want some that fill the body recess instead of mounting from the inside. Anything like this around?

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Probably the reason you don't see these is the fabrication required with the compound curves of the body for the outer bezel then tomount louvers on the inside so it would slide in, kinda like a force air heating vent assembly in your house. Anything is possible, its just time, labor and $$. Maybe you could try making a decorative bezel to go around the outside yourself out of some sheet aluminum stock if that is the look you are trying for.

Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob was hoping you would'nt say that. I have some stainless around enough to make a bezel. I saw some louvers that were deeper then the supplyed ones are(finish line?). Last resort was thinking of getting a set of these,cut out some bezels and the tig to try for the look I'm after. Second option was to take the inner lip away from the body so louvers don't look as inset when installed. This is the one detail I can't settle on.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Originally posted by Hind Sight:
Bob was hoping you would'nt say that. I have some stainless around enough to make a bezel. I saw some louvers that were deeper then the supplyed ones are(finish line?). Last resort was thinking of getting a set of these,cut out some bezels and the tig to try for the look I'm after. Second option was to take the inner lip away from the body so louvers don't look as inset when installed. This is the one detail I can't settle on.
The Finishline louvers are aluminum, I don't think you an TIG them to stainless. They are completly different than the FFR supplied louvers. You could probably enlarge the cutout and fab some sort of liner to go around them. But personally, the Finishline ones will look fine when installed. I'm thinking about doing a bezel arond the sidepipes, where they exit the body, mainly as a heat shield.
John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
Hind Sight,
I used the Finish Line units and were happy with them!
Best regards,
Chuck

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I have the finishline louvers. The blade edges are rolled and the product is very high quality. Just round the body openings and epoxy L-channels for the louver mount. The louver frame is larger than the body opening - no finish bezel is needed. You can epoxy them in or use rivets. The FFR louvers are a joke (bent sheet metal).

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Originally posted by Hind Sight:
Second option was to take the inner lip away from the body so louvers don't look as inset when installed.
What inner lip?? From the backside the openings should be sanded flat then roll the edges to finish they look like this.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Convincor thats were I'm at now. Hav'nt sanded the inner fender flat as of yet. My "hope" was to find some that follwed the contour of the radius shown in your pic. Looks like the Finish line are the best option.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I used th Whitby's since they have the mounting tabs made into the louver itself eliminating the need to rivet brackets to the louver.

[ November 08, 2006, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: convincor ]

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts

hindsight, these are the vents I bought. Looks like they are on sale!

·
8,356 Posts
I used Finish Line's louvers and am very happy. For what you want, you need to have the bezels custom made and the louvers modified to fit your vision. Would look nice!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Finishline which I will permanently attach to the body and will be painted the same color as the car(as a number of the real Cobras were).

·
Senior Charter Member
341 Posts
Whitby's are nice!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Depending on your wiring setup you might want to leave them removable in some way.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Originally posted by StephenP:
Depending on your wiring setup you might want to leave them removable in some way.
It's also much easier to access the right side windshield mount bolts, if you go through the louver hole.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts