Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally down to the last issues - Side bubbles and headlight cover install. 1st question; can you shape them with a circular sander or do you need a belt type sander? 2nd How do you position the 4 headlight brackets so that they contact the cover without stressing the plastic. 3rd, how did you attach the Bubbles and headlight plastic.
I'm sure this may have been discussed a thousand times in the past but I hope to do this only once unlike most of my build.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For what it's worth, here is my experience with the headlight covers:

I did this not long ago- be warned about drilling plexiglass/lexan- there are specially-angled drill bit for this or you can use kerosene to keep the bit from catching- it's not so much the catching that is the issue but rather the breaking off of plastic when a bit catches (heard it from a friend).

I used a belt-sander clamped on it's side to a table. Had the nose not too far away. Used black sharpie to mark the cover edges where material had to come off. The belt-sander made it pretty easy to get the desired curves to match the headlight opening. That said, I must have gone back and forth from sander to nose 10+ times each side to get them right, creeping up slowly on the sanding.

You get to decide where to mount the angle-brackets- how to space them. I picked what looked most common via a Google search. Make sure that whatever positions you choose that you can get a drill in there (heard it from a friend). I used a right-angle drill attachment.

I placed the covers held by strong tape-using strips as to leave the screw holes against the body open- so you can mark the holes with a pencil later. Then get the elevation and angles right (you have to bend those brackets), placing the headlight covers. I used a piece of tape across the cover and the body with a pen-line on it- then cut it- use that to 'clock' the cover consistently as you fit it and the brackets. The brackets were a lot of tape/fit-test/bend/tape/repeat. I painted my brackets after bending them (label them on a piece of cardboard so that after they're painted you know which one goes where).

For mounting the brackets to the body I used aluminum riv-nuts. Aluminum, because the steel ones will clamp to0 hard on fiberglass and crack it (heard it from a friend). Also, I wanted to be able to remove the brackets as my car is not in final paint. And be able to elongate the bracket hole in case I want to lower a bracket. I don't like using wood screws in fiberglass. I also used riv-nuts on the cover side of the bracket. I can take the covers and brackets off with an allen-key.

I used flat-head-hex machine screws to mount the covers with a fiber-washer under the head and a rubber washer between the cover and the bracket.

Watch out on the drilling

I did this with my 16 year-old daughter- letting her do the drilling so I'd not be mad at myself for making a mistake.

Dave
Gen III #17

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
807 Posts
For the headlight covers- I taped them in place, fitting one factory edge to the body then used a sharpie from the inside to mark it, remove then sand with a belt sander- keep test fitting as you go so you don't sand too far. i then rounded and polished the edges with increasing grits of wet dry paper . i taped the brackets to the body in the positions shown in the manual and photos i found of other coupes. i marked the holes on the body first and drilled and tapped for a 8/32 stainless button head screw once then i put superglue in the tapped hole and then re tapped (the super glue makes the fiberglass stronger) after mounting the brackets i placed the cover and marked one hole then drilled with a very small bit to start then stepped up to larger drill sizes until another 3/32 button head would fit, I tapped each bracket. I suggest doing one hole then attaching the cover to mark the next, and so on remounting it to make sure the holes and up in the right spot. I also masked and sprayed black on the rim inside.
I did the same Process for the side bubbles tapping the fiberglass for 8/32 button heads. have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!! So far it seems those that have been successful have follow two basic rules. Go slow. Measure twice sand a little and repeat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts