Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 299 Posts

· Super Moderator
29,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several threads where people are asking padded or not padded, traditional or non-traditional gauges, wood, or something else. So let's post pictures of your dash, straight on, and give details of what you did (padded, un-padded, leather, vinyl, wood, polished aluminum, etc.). Also list your gauges (Smiths, Auto Meter, etc.), switches, start buttons, etc.

This thread can be used by new builders to get an idea of what people have done and what great craftsmen we have.

So post away boys!!!

· Premium Member
13,909 Posts
I believe I am the only one with this dash as I followed my own idea:
HIDDEN ELECTRIC GAUGES ! , idea that I came with originally and continue developing...

anyways, here's a really small video (1 MB) of the window working, the first part is a piece of white cardboard that I used as a template, the second part (is getting dark) I have already riveted my intended piece of Black Plastic acrylic, as you can see the shiny rivet traveling back and forth, anyways, this is not done yet, I still have to design and fabricate BILLET bezels that will beautify the Carbon Fiber Dash,
Here's the Video <------ CLICK

Dave Smith signing my hidden gauge window at Knotts a few years back

This is one of the innovations that got me the FFR award for "Most Innovative" at the Last Huntington Beach FFR Cruise.

In this other video you can see it at night:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6995575587889490720&hl=en

and The ONLY thing that I haven't finished is the bezels that I still need to design and fabricate to complete my design.

again, I am sure no-one has this Dash !

· Registered
9,948 Posts
I went a little nutz here and made mine look like a _obra's dash. :001_cool:

· Registered
2,011 Posts
Mine is machined turned aluminum. Still not finished - will have a glovebox. The black vertical thing is gorilla tape temporarily holding it in place.

· Charter Member
1,610 Posts

No (good) photos in the car. This is the stock FFR vinyl, which is padded. The gauges are custom ones from SpeedHut.

The switch panel is 1/8" plate aluminum, mounted from behind so its face is flush with the vinyl because of the padding. Gauges are all 270 degree electronic with peak memory and programmable warning levels.

Speedo is reverse rotation, with a trip computer. Tach has peak hold and a progressive shift light along the right side.

The only controls on the dash are the ones on the switch panel. The left is the start button -- it also turns the car on. The next is headlights, up is on, down is parking. The next is hazards. The one after that will probably be wipers, and the last one is a momentary switch for the garage door opener. The LED above each indicates "on".

An identical panel will either be on the transmission tunnel or a center console and will have a 12v outlet, seat heater switches and two knobs for controlling the heater.

The basic idea is to keep things as absolutely simple as possible. Some people go nuts with switches for that vintage racing look. I wanted to keep it stylistically contained and minimalistic. I don't have a shot of it, but there are also four down-facing red LEDs under the dash that just give a hint of illumination into the footboxes and the transmission tunnel.

· Registered
29 Posts
Original Dashes

Over the last couple of years I have snapped photos of dashes in original Cobras so I could make mine as close as possible to the originals.. What I found was that no 2 were the same but there are definitely some commonalities... enjoy..

Attachments

· 1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
29,064 Posts
FFR blank dash panel. 2 layers of cow leather. Home-made glove box to conceal heat and air controls. Autometer Cobra gauges. Switches:
Ign, fan temperature control override, lights (pull), high beam, hazards, courtesy lights, 2-speed wipers w/park, master ac/heat on-off, fuel pump, emergency ign and fuel pump kill.

Greg

· Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Old Dash. Oak with Autometer Traditionals:

New Dash. Marine Vynil with 1 latyer of felt and Autometer Vintage Gauges:

· Premium Member
10,555 Posts
Walnut vaneer finished with Spar varnish. Competition layout.
Just the basic switches on the dash: Turn signals, Fan override, High/Low beams & Wiper.

Under Dash: Power outlet, Courtesy lights, Hazard light switch, Heater Controls.

2,737 Posts
FFR pre cut dash, 1/8" closed cell foam, marine vinyl. Homemade aluminum trim bar, marine aluminum grab bar. Homemade lower dash extension with footbox blower controls. Homemade fire extinguisher mount.

· Senior Charter Member
590 Posts
Dashes

Conventional for me!

· Premium Member
5,811 Posts
I haven't placed all the gauges on my new CF dash yet, so I'm appreciating all the great ideas. Keep them coming!

Conventional for me!
!oot taerg si sruoy ,naI :lol:

Sean

1 - 20 of 299 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.