Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the car has been on the road for most of the summer, I remind my wife and all my passengers to watch out for the hot pipe. The last few weeks my wife has been getting tired of the warning, and says "I know, I know"

Well, you know what's coming….

Yesterday, I failed to reminder her, and sure enough she got a bad 2" burn on her calf.

In all the commotion of her getting burnt, I actually slightly burned my leg trying to get out too quickly.

We have it wrapped up with lots of ointment, and she will be okay, but needless to say, I will continue to remind her.

· Junior Charter Member
291 Posts
Yep I have gotten 3 of those size snake bits. first one I got was on the jack stands after first start (walked right into it) 2nd lesson learned getting out of the car. 3rd I let a buddy drive and I forgot about the passenger pipe it gets hot to. Hopping 3 is the charm and I am done.

· Registered
563 Posts
Ouch! Thats a bad one. I remind my wife and anyone riding every time as well. I got one on my left calf and a matching one on the shin. Also got multiples on both shins from the quickjacks. I swear they extend out when i walk by. :balloon:

· Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Here you go, AND I'll raise you one badly sprained ankle. :) And I'll keep the surgical incision photo in my back pocket, just in case I need to re-raise you!

· The Greek
3,247 Posts
When we were coming back from the Huntington Beach show a couple of years ago with my brother, as he was getting out, he got it bad on his calf.
I immediately ordered side pipe protection and have never had an incident since.
I always wear jeans. Never shorts.

· FFCobra Fanatic
1,836 Posts
I never, repeat never drive without long pants on, i don't care how hot it is and I remined my wife about the pipes each time she gets out, so far so good.

· FFCobra Craftsman
25,999 Posts
Yeah, that is about normal for me too. A big one every 2 yrs and smaller ones in between. You would think after 7 yrs I'd learn!

· Super Moderator
3,656 Posts
I recently burned a small spot on my inner forearm that looked like a snake bite when trying to adjust the air pressure on my air compressor (that copper tube got hot real quick)

Anyways, I was thinking this is going to be a pain in the butt to deal with so I grabbed a bottle of "new skin" liquid bandage spray that I have and just sealed it up. Never did anything else and about a week later the glue finally came off and it was practically healed

Amazon.com: New-Skin Liquid Bandage, First Aid Antiseptic Spray (over 40 Applications), 1-Ounce Sprays (Pack of 4): Health & Personal Care

· Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
In four years of driving I've never been bit. I probably look like the disjointed dead girl from The Ring movie to people watching me get out of the Roadster, but whatever it takes! LOL

I remind all passengers about three things: Don't touch the windscreen getting in/out, don't toss the belts over your shoulder when unbuckling, and watch your legs on the pipes getting out. Never had a problem with passengers either, though my wife does give me "the look" when I reminder because she's heard it a million times. But I'd rather get "the look" than have her get burned.

The one and so far only time I've been burned was on the front of my ankle. I was helping a pal tune his car and got a little too close to the front of the sidepipe when leaning over the engine (and he has sidepipe shields! LOL)...

Mark

· Registered
789 Posts
My wife got a really bad burn the second time she rode in the car. It took a long time to heal. I got some shields and had them ceramic coated . You can put your hand on them. I hate the way they look, but if it saves another leg from getting burned, I can live with them.

· Premium Member
7,305 Posts
I have never come close to getting burned while getting out of the car. It's always while I'm tinkering around with the car and not thinking about the pipe.

· Registered
456 Posts
In four years of driving I've never been bit. I probably look like the disjointed dead girl from The Ring movie to people watching me get out of the Roadster, but whatever it takes! LOL

Mark
That made me giggle/snort. Mike couldn't understand why I was laughing so hard, but he's never seen himself get out.

I have zero burns, but I've been stabbed bloody by the sharp end of the pipe twice. I've finally resorted to placing a towel on the end if it isn't hot and I'm working near it. It'd be better if I wore real shoes, but I'm not that desperate yet. Mike has several burns which is why I only wear boots and long pants in the cool weather and put up with Mike's reminders to watch the pipes in the hot weather.

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
. I probably look like the disjointed dead girl from The Ring movie to people watching me get out of the Roadster, but whatever it takes! LOL
Mark
That is the funniest description on the art of exiting our cars, I have ever heard. Comedy Gold right there. :lol:

· Registered
4,498 Posts
did it hurt:001_tongue:

i nailed myself right before my trip to the UP, fishin sucked because i stayed away from the water.
the skin would tighten up if you didn't walk and damn that really made getting out of the vehicle bad, my wife says to me at the rest stop whats the matter with your leg......dohhhhh its a freakin burn from when i took ur freakin dog to the vet and it ran over my lap when i got out, and the rest is history.

lets just say, thank God for beer, ointment and a big bandage. i gimped around for about 3 days. and the healing was about 2-3 weeks
been the worse burn since the 70's when a weed seed burned thru the croutch of my pants at a RUSH concert:evil:

· Registered
2,302 Posts
so it was november 2011 and a kind member gave me his body buck. He offered a ride and i took it! As i have never ridden in one of these before even though we had ordered our kit.

At the end of the ride, he kept saying its hot be careful, its hot be careful, its hot be careful. I kept saying, yea, i know, yea, i know, yea i know.

Well, i get out and my leg nails the pipe. Actually felt good. :)

When we got our engine started, i kept tuning it. I was getting in between the wheel and header. Yea, hit the back of my legs a bunch of times. Again, felt pretty good.

I look at is as the ultimate tatoo. Snake tats. Again, what separates men from the girls. :001_tongue:

here is a pic i just took. This is the one from last november. I hope i have it forever!!! :001_smile:

Attachments

· Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
I've had two good ones, neither on my own car. The first was a few years ago when I went to Florida to visit my buddies John Phillips and Richard Bailey. We had just put a new engine in Bailey's car and I was setting the timing. Stepped up a little too close while pointing the timing light at the timing mark and gave myself a good one on the shin. :eek:

The other was shortly after finishing up the Mk4 build for Steve. He was out of town for few days and I told him to leave the car with me so I could go over everything after the first thousand miles or so. One thing I had done was make a choke adjustment so the morning he was to pick it up I started it up cold and took took it for a short drive to assure that it was going to work OK. When I got back to the driveway I started going over it with some quick detailer to make it nice and shiny for him (or maybe it was for me but don't tell anybody ;)). In doing so I ran my hand between the body and sidepipe. I actually heard a quick sizzle, like bacon, before I could pull it away!

I think it was the waxing gods exacting their revenge for me thumbing my nose at them all these years with my "not a waxer" moniker.

Jeff

· Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Sorry to see all the snake bites and even though this won't protect 100% of the side pipes, my heat shields from Drummer Mike just came in and I had to snap a couple of pictures of them on the bench.

View attachment 35375

View attachment 35376
Those are beautiful, but those don't protect the area that always burns me. Each time I have been nailed by the front curved part of the pipe just as it exits the side of the body.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.