Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting body work on the wheeel openings. Would like to see pics of how you finished yours.
Not too sure if taking off the curved side towards the tire will make the fender well weaker? More prone to cracks?

Thanks!

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
Need to cut that mess off because Ugly,will get tire rub and a well sanded,bead type edge is what you will see with all fine finished cars. Will not make fender weaker. Just part of old body molds--was never meant to remain on car. John

·
Charter Member
203 Posts
This topic can sure be decieving. I think I will check this often could get interesting!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

The edges are just rounded off and smooth, but it's extra special if you use filler on the inside of the lip to cover the rough glass cloth for a couple inches. You make the lip thicker so that it looks more substantial, and when people touch it they feel the smooth inside. I went for 3/8" thickness.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You can also do the radiator opening if you want.

The first step is making the depth of the flange even all the way around so the tool will fit the same everywhere.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,999 Posts
Two shots of the fender lips before high build primer. Rolled the edge with a 5/16 radius and backfilled with Rage to make it round.

Greg

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks Tom
I painted it in the garage, using dry nitrogen as a propellant.

·
Junior Charter Member
218 Posts
Mike C. I never heard of using dry nitrogen as a prepellant. I am assuming this was a tall gas cylinder? Does one bottle provide enough gas for a whole paint job? Great idea, not water or oil to worry about. No loud compressor. Could you provide a few more details? Thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do you have the color codes/manufacturer of that paint. I want it!!!!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Did the same as Greg. Rolled the fender edges similar to how the cockpit edges got done.
I used filler to smooth the under side from the lip back about 3" but ended up covering it with bedliner in the end.
Rounding off all the body openings in my opinion really gives the car a finished look.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Wongman410
The paint is House of Kolor KBC17 Violette over black sealer. 3 coats of color with 3 coats of UFC35 clear, sanded smooth and 4 more coats of clear. The KBC is a one step base color that simulates a candy, and I found it pretty easy to get a good consistent shade, ie not streaky or spotty. You still have to move like a machine.
This is a good shot that shows the hue ...

and from the rear ...

Turducken
I rented two of the big gas bottles, 255 cu ft and bought a good two-stage regulator. I found that a gallon of paint took about 2/3 of a bottle with an HVLP gun. Besides being perfectly clean, the near-silence was nice. I could put on some music and I think that helped me stay calm. First time painting is semi stressful.
I just refilled the bottles as needed for the various days/layers, and had two 60 cu ft bottles from work in reserve (HVAC piping).
Big bottles cost $47 each for contents, and I went through at least six, so a good compressor would probably be cheaper if doing more than one car. The regulator alone was almost $200.
That '89 F150 is next.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The color and detail is awesome thanks for the info.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
I love the color, very very nice.

·
Registered
603 Posts
man, that is a clean purple.. good work.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks guys!
Doing the finishing and paint and having it come out well was the biggest satisfaction of the whole project, despite all the sanding required.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Uh, how do you roll the edges? Is that black rubber thing part of how its done?

Sorry to sound so dumb but body work is not my specialty, but do want to learn how to do it.

thanks,
tom

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Tom when I did the cockpit and fenders I used a short piece of pvc pipe. Think it was 1/2 or 3/4" pipe about 3" long cut in half length wise.
Used it as a trowel to run down the edge once filler was put on. This shaped it very close to final contour. Use a peice of sand paper in the other half to sand it down to final shape, along with hand sanding.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Tom,
On the fenders, you just need to trim off the excess fiberglass and make it even all around the wheel opening. Usually around 5/16". Then hand sanding for a smooth contour and rounded edges will give a nice result similar to Greg's picture above. hth

1 - 19 of 19 Posts