Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct amount of chrome under a hood ? Who knows !?! I'm interested in seeing pictures of installed 5.0's -- from almost stock to blinding amounts of chrome.

As a side note, has anyone polished the stock cast aluminum valve covers and accessory mounting brackets ? Just wondering how they'd look. Powdercoating just doesn't seem like it would look good...but you never know.

- B

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
It's my opinion that chrome should be used only as an accent to highlight painted/powdercoated and polished aluminum engine pieces. Too much chrome and it tends to look like a plastic model car engine. I also prefer "as cast" intake manifolds and water pumps, with polished stainless steel fastners. The valve covers below are polished factory covers. with the bungs welded on. They took alot of work, as they were very rough to start with. I started with a belt sander, using an 80 grit belt, progressing to a palm sander using using finer grades of paper, ending up with 600 grit wet/dry paper. Then the polishing started. I have a high speed buffer, but it still took several hours to get them polished. I'm thinking about using these VC on the Cobra engine, just to be different. John

·
343 Posts
Here is mine in the car. Not sure if this is what you want to see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts