Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm with you brother. You'll feel better in a few weeks, believe me. Just use the ice machine as often as humanly possible and take the drugs they give you...

·
Charter Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
update:
surgury done thursday. pain very light so far therapy starts next week. had to rivit tendon back to shoulder and repair cuff.
so far so good

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Sorry to hear hope they give you some good pain killers. I had my knee operated on and they gave me something for the pain. Those things were great I would have gone sky diving with no parachute on those pills!!!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Snakeman,
I PM'd you. I'm almost 5 weeks out now, and spent this morning planing a door frame. Don't tell my doc :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry to hear about all that Mike! I've through the MRI thing over at AMC. Nice gals but man that thing makes a bunch of noise! If ya need anything give me a hollar. I'm only a few miles away. Best time to reach me is 3:30 - 5:30 pm at 885-5489.

Ron

·
GTM Fanatic
1,560 Posts
My left shoulder is the same way man! and im only 23 yo. I dislocated it playing basketball 3 years ago and about 1.5 years ago i had the MRI done with the big horse needle ( i didnt find it as painful lucky for me! ) I also have a completely torn rotatorcuff. I can dislocate my shoulder so easily its not funny! I havent commited to doing the surgery yet since they said they have to cut through another muscule to get to the one they need to fix. Not looking forward to a 3" scar either.

So far i have been really careful with my left shoulder ie: not putting it under the pillow when i sleep on my stomach. Not reaching up high with my left arm. Things like that and i havent dislocated in 6 months or so. It still sux alot. I cant hang down from monkey bars and i cant swim now. I cant dive either ofourse. Cand do head stands/cartwheels.

My family has been discouraging me from doing surgery too, my mom has the same thing as i do and she has been living with it for 40 years. She had a parachuting accident had a rough landing only tore her shoulder.

I wonder when would be a good time if ever for me to fix my shoulder. Also as time goes on i wonder what happens to my torn rotator cuff.. is it withering away?

The doctors told me i would loose movement range, because the tendon will be shorter. Didnt they come up with some way to farm tendon/cartilage from muscule cells in a petri dish? I wonder if that is something worth waiting for.

·
Charter Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
the longer you wait the more damage is going to occur. a friend had to have pig tendon put in his because he waited and his tendons were too short to reach the bones any more. You can do what you want but the longer you wait the larger the tear will get and you will start getting bone damage from them rubbing together. the three inch scar is a small price to pay for use of your arm back. DON'T WAIT IS IS JUST GETTING WORSE.

·
GTM Fanatic
1,560 Posts
Thanks, i will have to get off my ass and do something then eh.. I think i may be wrong about the "rotator cuff" thing though. The doctors didnt tell me anything about bone damage. The ligament i tore was from hyperextending my shoulder. So if i lay on my back with my arms out, if i try to lift my arm off the ground using my pecks, it will pop out and fall on the floor again. So what ever ligament that holds it in the CUP is whats torn in my case. Its torn completely from what i was told. I wonder if they will make me do the MRI again since it has been a year since i had it. I think the only way i could do "bone" damage is when i dislocate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm with you brother. You'll feel better in a few weeks, believe me. Just use the shoulder ice machine as often as humanly possible and take the drugs they give you...
Last summer, around June, I had a knee replacement. During the hospital, they provided me with a similar system. It helps to reduce knee pain and reduce the amount of medication, at least I can sleep well at night. After being discharged, I decided to purchase this particular system because my pain continued and it was lightweight and easy to use. When redness and pain appeared, I still used it, and I was relieved immediately. The biggest difference from the ice pack is that you can choose the pad that suits different parts and keep it in the same position for a long time.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts