Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just found out I have to have my shoulder cut on. dr says I have bone on bone with no rotator cuff left. Looks like I will be out of service for three months. not looking forward to it wish me luck

·
Super Moderator
29,364 Posts
Sorry to hear the sad news. Good luck

2FAST

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Originally posted by Vasnakeman:
just found out I have to have my shoulder cut on. dr says I have bone on bone with no rotator cuff left. Looks like I will be out of service for three months. not looking forward to it wish me luck
Hang in there, had a friend go through it not that long ago and he is far happier now than he was beforehand.

Bill S.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hey, me too! My right cuff is toast, and there's a bone spur in there to grind at it some more. I'm having surgery Wednesday, then 12 weeks of rehab. Doc says I can't lift my arm at the shoulder for six weeks. At least I can still raise a
or three without lifting my shoulder.
Good Luck -- you won't be alone
Steve

·
2,372 Posts
Hey guys!
I am a veteran of a massive shoulder surgery 3 years ago(accident). Get yourselves a good reclining Barcolounger type chair. It will probably be a couple of weeks before you can sleep well lying down!
Best of luck and drugs.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks Shawn. The Super Bowl couldn't be on a better weekend -- ideal time to loaf!
Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
6,097 Posts
Three shoulder surgeries here. Two on one shoulder one on the other. The second shoulder is in bad shape according to the MRI, but the VA has convinced me to go the PT route for a while first. I go twice a week. I have made a lot of progress but I am still not sure if it will solve everything.

good luck whichever way you decide to go,
bob

PS: Kudos to the guys from Entemenmans pastries. They donate enough stuff that all the vets in the hospital get coffee and cake free twice a week.

·
Charter Member
1,765 Posts
I've had rotator cuff surgery on both sides. Had them done a year apart. I still don't have the strength in them that I had, but at least the pain has gone away. I've talked to others that have said that it was a really painful operation, but for me it was instantly so much better than what I had been experiencing that I was back to work after the weekend. Work at the post surgery PT it helps. Scott

·
Junior Charter Member
611 Posts
Hmm, they both have snake in their avitar, is there some trend here? To the both of you, good luck and have a speedy recovery. Anyone else with snake in their avitar, be careful!

Jim

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
VA,
That sucks man, been there done that! I had my left shoulder partially reconstructed 2 years ago. A few words of advice:

Is the surgery in the A.M.? They'll probably give you a block in the neck region which will block all the feeling in your entire arm for about 8-10 hours. They tell you that as soon as it starts to wear off, take the pain med they prescribe - most likely Vicoden or something similar. Trust me, you can't take enough of them to even dull the pain. Instead, ask if you can come back in that evening and have another block administered. Otherwise the pain will be so severe that you will NOT be able to sleep that night. By the next day the pain is much less severe. Get off the pain meds as soon as you can, they're wonderful but very addictive.

Second, as mentioned, find a real comfy chair or sofa, you'll be sleeping there for quite a while. Sleep sitting up, with your arm propped up on pillows by your side.

And third, DO YOUR REHAB!!! It's going to hurt like hell, but do everything they tell you to do. They'll give you a bunch of exercises to do at home, do those as often as you can. It really does make all the difference. My shoulder is stronger than it was before hand, thanks to the rehab.

If you want to travel to Kansas City to have it done, one of the best in the country is here. Chris Barnthouse - does all the work on the Chiefs. Good luck!

Brandon

PS - Almost forgot. If you're getting your good arm cut, start practicing now to do things with the other hand. Otherwise you'll end up with bleeding gums from stabbing your mouth with your toothbrush, and don't forget wiping... :eek:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hey Snakeman... I had my surgery Wednesday. I don't remember any of it at all. The block wiped me out completely. So far the pain is pretty minimal. I take my Vicodin and Vistaril (1 each) every 4 hours, and I had the Iceman going continuously until an hour ago. Right now I'm trying to extend the Vicodin out to 6 hours. I think I may be a little allergic to it, because I'm a little short of breath and itch like I have cooties. Everybody's right about the chair thing -- I thought I might try and just use a couch, but borrowed my son's recliner instead and it's been great. Just make sure all the remotes are within easy reach. Use the Iceman and the muscle stim thing they perscribe -- they help.
Good Luck
Steve

·
18,090 Posts
Good luck guys...

Hey - here's an idea for those Beer-Breaks that we KNOW you're gonna need:

:D
:D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Randy -- LOL! How does that mix with the scrips? Will I notice any enhanced effect?
My biggest concern is that I can't operate the cocktail shaker :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks Snakeman. Keep us posted on your own prognosis..
Steve

·
Charter Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shoulder update:
went in for what I thought was to be a simple mri, wrong.
first had to do xrays of eyes because I worked on cars in past and they had to be sure there was no metel in my eyes or I could end up blind. not a problem
next thing arthroscopty(?) xray of shoulder, HELL
first couple of lidocaine shots. not bad, THEN this 6 inch horse neddle inserted between the bones of the shoulder and die is squirted around as more xrays are taken. When this was over I couldn't move my arm are all and it felt like some one was twisting a knife in it.
next they took me to the mri,
shoved me in this tiny tube so tight that both arms went to sleep about half way through, they gave me head phones for music but the volume was so low i couldn't hear snything.
major cuff rip
THANK GOD THIS DAY IS OVER
DR. appointment wednesday surgery shortley after that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts