Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seams to me that I remember reading a year ago that you should order carbed even if you are going to use an EFI setup. Something to do with the wiring harness you get with the carbed kit? Is it a harness for the whole car, or just the engine harness?

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
If you order the carb kit, you'll get a blank dash, the stuff to adapt the donor gauges will be deleted, and you'll get a Painless 12-circuit chassis harness (or an American Autowire equivalent). There may be one or two other differences, too, like the fuel line stuff that gets into the kit. If you then want to go EFI, you can buy either a Ford Motorsport or Painless engine harness that will cost mucho dinero. If you want to go EFI and don't want to mess with the wiring diet, send your donor harness out to Roger Stein or Rob Weatherby (sp?).

PS: If I remember correctly, the carb option costs more.

[ February 01, 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Oldguy668 ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,132 Posts
Originally posted by Oldguy668:
PS: If I remember correctly, the carb option costs more.
When I bought my kit, there was no price difference between the two. I bought a carb car.

See Ya

Jeff E.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,042 Posts
If I wanted to build a EFI I would order the EFI kit. If you want to build a carb get the carb kit. I use the donor harness on the EFI cars. The EFI kit has a longer throttle cable, the pulley and belt kit for the A/C bracket,gauge conversion, and a few other parts you will need to run EFI. You do not get these parts in the carb kit. The carb kit includes a complete harness that will work for a carb but not for EFI.
Jeff Hamilton

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Current kits don't use the Painless harness, they use the American wiring harness. My MKI was a Painless harness and was fairly straight forward. So far, I don't care for the American harness with the MKII. The schematic isn't as good and I don't like the connectors. I even called FFR last week to see if they had any Painless harness I could swap for.... they didn't.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Rickster,

I don't see why you couldn't use the carb kit's chassis harness and your donor engine harness. That is basically what I'm doing.

I ordered the carbed kit (no price difference) and I'm doing efi. I'm using aftermarket gauges, my own air filter setup, and the March alternator bracket so I figured same as you're thinking.

Hopefully some others will chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong about this.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I ordered the carb kit for my latest build. The reason was I could sell the wiring harness and make some money back, I get the headlight and ignition switch, 3/8" fuel line(I have plenty of 5/16" and 1/4" left over from other builds), and if I decided to use the wiring harness I could graft it to the donor engine harness. I didn't get the air filter and a couple of other things with the carbed kit, but what I did get was more than than worthgoing to get the little missing things. You can use the carbed wiring harness with the donor engine harness.

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
There are a lot of little differences. Unless you are good, really good, at wiring I would not even consider doing the carb harness and grafting in the donor engine harness. On the Ford EFI there are 4 connectors. Some are 8 pin some are 4 pin. What about the Fuel pump relay wiring and the EFI relay. Do you know how to do all of that and not burn the car down? Dior almost burned his car up with the fuel pump not wired correctly. It is not as easy as it sounds, ask John Phillips, it took him months to get it figured out. My suggestions is to get the EFI kit and do the harness diet yourself, then, if you want the chassis harness Painless sells them for $269 in Summit. We have never done the carb harness with EFI. Just not worth the hassle. HTH, Cheers Richard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts