Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat soon Iwill be buying PS engineering 6 spoke 4 lug 15" rims. 15x8 and 15x10.. I wanted to run 295/50/15 in rear. When I did my math, I came up with 235/70/15 to keep the same tire height.. Will this size front tire be too tall? What size are some of you guys running that have this size back tire?? Thanks again, mert

·
Senior Charter Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did it again.. I came up with a section height of 5.8" for 295/50/15.. I realized that 235/60/15 will give me 5.5" for the front. This makes more sense.. Am I correct?? thanks, mert

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Mert, the 235/70SRX15’s have an OD of 27.8” and the 235/60SRX15’s have an OD of 26.1”. Although the SW and TD aren’t too far off the OD difference is way off... varying by over 1-1/2”. The front 235/70 series rubber is too tall. You’ll inevitably have clearance issues. Check out the following sizes I’ve mounted on 2286... you’ll find the OD of the front and rear sets are very close. It’s enough to keep me happy and 2286 looking good. Just remember the larger the tire the more critical backspacing becomes... to center that baby exactly where you want it.

On the street I’m running DOT approved BFGoodrich Radial T/A RWL 295/50SRX15 on the rear with a TW of 9.5” and an OD of 26.7” and 235/60SRX15 on the front with a TW of 7.6” and an OD of 26.1”.

On a second set of PSE Rims I have Goodyear Eagle Sports Car Special Rain Slicks LWL Vintage 2003 in 26.5-10.5-15 (#2547) on the rear with a TW of 10.2” and an OD of 26.5” and 26.5-8.0-15 (#2546) on the front with a TW of 7.9” and an OD of 26.2”

Note: The above Goodyear ESCS Vintage Rain Slicks are the original height Cobra tires and are made for the original Cobra today. However they are Treaded Rain Slicks and are Not DOT approved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
5,042 Posts
Mert, to get the numbers you need, go to www.tirerack.com After selecting the tire manufacturer and type you intend to buy click on 'specifications' and you will get a spreadsheet of all the available sizes for that tire along with a ton of statistics like diameter, min/max rim size etc. This should help you make the right choice.

·
Senior Charter Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2savage, I was on tire rack.. thats where I realized my size was off.. Bob, that's the info I needed. Thanks... What I need to do is lower my front end. My gap between the top of my tire and the body is quite much.. The car will be going back to get ride height better. We'll see if that closes the gap... With the standard 4 link, wll there be any fit issues with the 295's?? thanks, mert

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,997 Posts
Mert,

I had to go through this myself when I was agonizing over tire sizes. With 295/50/15s in the back you'll want 235/50/15s up front.

With respect to clearance in the back, I have the three link with my 295s and had to do some modifications to the panhard bar bracket which you don't have with the four link. You should be OK except for the 2 X 3 frame member up top. I had to grind a triangular section out of this portion of the frame to avoid scraping on a big bump. If you do this and you want to make sure you ground enough material off just jack the car up by the axle without the spring mounted. You'll get maximum axle travel this way. If the tire hits nothing, you're good to go.

Rick Williams

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.