Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking the FAQ's on cutting the roll bars, but not much there. I think I want to lower them by about 2". I am wondering about the angle of the support bar from the main hoop to the frame mount. Can someone outline the procedure, and obstacles to watch for. Pictures would be nice aswell.

·
Junior Charter Member
344 Posts
I did it on my car. You have to relocate the support bars mounting points on frame. Than you have to find the right locations on your body ( I ordered my body without cut outs). The last thing is to cut a new openings in trunk top sheetmetal and create a new patches over old openings. Unfortunatelly I'm not able to post pictures on forum but I sent you private message with pictures. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Just remember..

If you ever want to go to the track the roll bar must be above the top of your helmet.

Many tracks are measuring and require at least 2 inches above your helmet.

Mike

·
Registered
722 Posts
I cut my roll bars 2 1/4" and didn't have to move support leg base or alter holes in the body. Cut the support lug off the hoop and grind off the remainder on the hoop with a 4" grinder. Grind a radius on the support leg with the 4" grinder. After cutting down the roll hoop, measure
how much angle you need to bend into the support leg and take it to a muffler shop with a tubing bender. They will probably put the bend in the tube for nothing when they hear your building a Cobra. The tubing bends easily in the tube bender. Mine required about a 10 degree bend to match up to thee angle of the base and the hole in the body. Jig the whole thing together, and mig weld back together. A little work , but it looks a lot better. Good luck, Randy Richards

·
6,332 Posts
I must be getting brainwashed but the tall roll bar is starting to look "normal" to me. It does make the soft top look goofy though.
Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts