Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just purchased a challenge kit (delivery of 7-26-14) I built a mk3 years ago and loved it. My question is how difficult is it to jump over the door (using full windshield) . Im 5'5" and my ol lady is 5'1". Have built some light aircraft and thinking of putting in some spring loaded cam lock pegs to get in and out.

PS this will not be a spec legal build.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,223 Posts
My response was to your second post, I can't comment on Challenge cars.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
my friend is 5'2" and she just stepped over the door onto the seat to get into to car. she also enjoyed driving it on the street.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'm 5-10" and I have trouble stepping over mine but I'm also old and fat. My wife is
5-6". She steps on the seat cushion when she gets in and out. She's younger and not at all fat (and a lot better looking also). Seriously, it's not a big deal.

·
Snake Farmer
10,323 Posts
Avoid using the windshield as a hand hold, getting in or out. It seems like the obvious spot to grab hold of, but it could lead to a cracked glass..

·
Snake Farmer
10,323 Posts
Well, the good news is most of the challenge cars don't have windshields.
Yeah, but his does..and even with doors, passengers naturally tend reach for it.:scared:. I always have to tell newbies not to grab it..

I would think a passenger roll bar would be a added benefit, as a hand hold if one had to climb in over the door.
I saw one spec racer build a buddy owned, that had tabs on the bottom of the door shells, that fit down into slots on the door sill. I can't remember exactly how the upper part of the door was held in place, but he could lift the door shell up and out of the way. You still had to clamber over the side protection cross-bar, but at least it wasn't as high as the top of the door, and made it a little easier.
Still, it could be a challenge if the wife was wearing a short skirt..:001_tongue:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts