Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in the process of upgrading the engine and while at it would like to renew/upgrade the rear brakes from drum to disc and replace the original shock setup that came with the car when we bought it. Attached are pictures of the current front and rear setup. I'm looking for advice on:

1. Rear brakes: what are the options going from the current drum to a disc brake? I definitely want to keep the current wheels (4-bolt) as they are PSE's and really cool with the car.
2. Rear suspension setup: What do I do with all that?? Hahaha... where to begin? What are the options?
3. Front shocks: what do you recommend for replacement?

I am fairly sure the car was built using a 1989 Mustang donor but wouldn't bet anything vital on it!

Thank you for any and all help,

Brian

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
Rear brakes - you can get kits to convert to disks and keep the 4lug wheels, probably easier these days to buy a kit than to try and source junkyard parts.

You can junk the rear springs, spring mounts and shocks and bolt on coil overs similar to what you’ve got on the front.
The fronts look to be the pro shocks that used to be sold on the kit. You can get pro shocks for the back or get 4 new, lots of options there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,369 Posts
Just what SC said out back. Maybe convert to 3-link, or other rear suspension kit? Mustang GT discs, don't forget to change the MC to match.

Lots of great shock options. I went with the QA1's. You can also update spring rates as well.

Time to re-invent your car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I posted in another thread, I’m curious if anyone has found other coil over options besides the QA1s and Konis from FF for the rear end. Surely there has to be other options besides these two?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,369 Posts
I've got lots of 10" springs if you need them! Very cheap.

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
Here are the proshock part numbers that used to be used,
You’ve probably got the below parts on the front already.

Front
Proshock #ASB546
Spring 10”x2-1/2”x450lb

Rear
Proshock #ASB735
Spring 10”x1-7/8”x250lb

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,374 Posts
I posted in another thread, I’m curious if anyone has found other coil over options besides the QA1s and Konis from FF for the rear end. Surely there has to be other options besides these two?
There are other options for coil overs. Lots of them. But, maybe not worth the trouble unless you want a very specific shock. Most coil overs that you see for a camaro, mustang, corvette etc have been worked out to fit those applications. Unfortunately, they don't have anything listed for an FFR. So you have to go by dimensions to get them to fit, and then you have to figure out how they are valved and will that work for an FFR. QA1s from Breeze have been worked out by Mark to fit correctly and are a good deal. Between them, and FFR, and the #s SC210 provided you have three sources. Up front you can get LCAs from FFR and UCAs too. The UCAs can also be bought from SPC. go here and click on the 'Source Book'.
Catalogs (spcalignment.com)
Scroll to page 154. you want the ;
5" steel cross shaft
3 3/4 in sleeves
92025 pivots
92002 chrysler BJ plate
94002 ball joint (they are an industry # K772 BJ so you can also choose many other sources including QA1 infinitely adjustable BJs)
92005 and 92013 sleeve end studs.
All the above can be ordered from Summit but I understand it is better to call SPC and tell them you have an FFR and they will sell you complete UCAs for less than the individual parts.
Note that your current UCAs adjust by sliding in slots in the frame so, w/ these new style, you will want to close up the slots.

Reactions: Livewire80

·
Not a waxer
12,021 Posts
If you change to coilovers in the rear---and I highly recommend that you do---PLEASE change out the rear axle lower control arm brackets. The ones on the car currently have the lower eye of the shock in single shear which is fine for a shock only but with the coilovers holding the full weight of the back end you should be using the newer style that will have it in double shear. As for converting to 4 lug discs Richard Oben at North Racecars can set you up with everything you need to make the change.

North Racecars Replica and Mustang Parts Connection

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you change to coilovers in the rear---and I highly recommend that you do---PLEASE change out the rear axle lower control arm brackets. The ones on the car currently have the lower eye of the shock in single shear which is fine for a shock only but with the coilovers holding the full weight of the back end you should be using the newer style that will have it in double shear. As for converting to 4 lug discs Richard Oben at North Racecars can set you up with everything you need to make the change.

North Racecars Replica and Mustang Parts Connection

Good luck!

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for pointing out the lower control arm upgrade. Dumb question but... is there a suggested supplier for these? Someone that knows what is needed for the upgrade?

Thanks to everyone that has written in!

Brian

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the proshock part numbers that used to be used,
You’ve probably got the below parts on the front already.

Front
Proshock #ASB546
Spring 10”x2-1/2”x450lb

Rear
Proshock #ASB735
Spring 10”x1-7/8”x250lb

Thanks SC!

I went to the Pro Shock website and found the above shocks you recommend. The question is what do I use for:
1. Shock Stroke Length (5-7)
2. Shock Compression Valving Ranges (1-6)
3. Shock Rebound Valving (0.05-8)

On the springs, that ask for a Spring Rate. Is that the same as force (e.g. 250 lb)? They have a range of 115-600.

Brian

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
I believe the part number has those values
Stroke 5
Compression4
Rebound 6

I just have the ASB546 # to a local race shop and they ordered them in for me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for pointing out the lower control arm upgrade. Dumb question but... is there a suggested supplier for these? Someone that knows what is needed for the upgrade?

Thanks to everyone that has written in!

Brian
Giving this one a bump to the top... My dumb question that is... Any advice there?
Thanks,
b-

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
I’d make up something like in the pic below and weld it on to the existing bracket using the current shock hole to line it up.

·
Junior Charter Member
358 Posts
I will second calling Richard Oben, I bought his rear axle up grade to 5 lug with disc brakes, fit my 87 Mustang solid rear perfectly and works great.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Gang,
The attached picture shows the current bottom end set-up of the rear shocks. Is that "double shear" as Jeff talks about? Is it sufficient for coil-overs?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
The shock bolt is in double shear but that little adapter bracket thing has only one bolt and it is in single shear.
That adapter bracket thing is stock mustang, but the shock didn’t carry weight in the mustang, the spring on the control arm carries the weight.

I don’t think a coilover Shock would bolt to that bracket anyway, I think the hat would hit the bracket.

·
Not a waxer
12,021 Posts
Brian,
You can't put a coilover on that mount; as SC210 said it's for a Mustang shock absorber and won't accommodate the size of a coilover. Your car is a very early one and doesn't use the Factory Five brackets that are designed to be used with coilovers (#14019 for the right hand and #14021 for the left hand). When the coilover is installed on them it's upper and lower bolts are in double sheer meaning that the attaching bolt passes through the mounts on both sides, not just one which introduces leverage which can lead to fatigue and failure. This photo also shows that when these brackets are used the lower control arm mounts to the axle differently than yours.

Just be aware that if you start updating you're liable to find yourself on a slippery slope..."Well, since I'm changing to coilovers which require different brackets I might as well go for the new style aluminum lower control arms---and as long as I'm doing that I should probably..." Sometimes when you start it can be hard to find a place to stop, especially if you have all of us who are so willing to spend your money! :ROFLMAO:

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
Maybe a conversion bracket for putting coil overs on a mustang would work?

·
Junior Charter Member
847 Posts
Hi Gang,
The attached picture shows the current bottom end set-up of the rear shocks. Is that "double shear" as Jeff talks about? Is it sufficient for coil-overs?
Thanks,
Brian
View attachment 362846
Is that an air shock?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts