Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I picked up our cobra from my brothers house (we co-own) he said there was oil dripping and I told him I would check it out when I got home. After about a 35min drive in the country I get home and jack up the front to look for leaks. I can't find anything in the front so I jack up the back and still no leak. I reach up to check the shock and just touch it and it breaks. Last year we swapped coils with ff and did the washer and zip tie thing before it was a go-cart. It has abut 3000 miles since Nov 06.

I thought and hope we installed everything correctly. I don't know what else to say. Calling FF on Monday.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Forgive me if this sounds insensitive, but have you guys been under a rock for the last 3 weeks?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Joe, some people have a life and don't feel the need to check in several times a day like we do. And yes, it did sound insensitive. I know Brian and he is a great guy and built a very nice car.

Brian, check the sticky thread at the top of this forum and you'll get all the info you need to get your shock problem taken care of.

BTW, did you get your paint problem taken care of?

Bob

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Joe...

Not everyone lives by the forum like we do.

He has a completed car with a broke IRS shock.

with the latest stuff done by FFR, nothing is crystal clear which is why I suggested a table to simplify things.

He states he did last years modification.

It does sound insensitive.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Yea; a lot of us regulars know the shock issue has been beat to death, but a lot of people don't frequent the forums. Think that was out of line as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just adding info. I've heard of the problems but thought I had addressed them. That's all.

Brian

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
Let's keep our eye on the ball here. No one got hurt. Brian is ok. He is gonna' call on Monday.

Brian, even if you don't log on to to ffcars often, it could not hurt to check out the "what's new" on the Factroy Five web page every now and then. (I know Patty's Discount does not change, but some of the other stuff does :D ) I kid, I kid.

Brian, again I am glad you are OK.

·
3 Generations on a MkIII
1,415 Posts
Opps. Brian, you posted while I was writing. Ignore the middle paragraph of my last post.

For the third time: Glad you are OK.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
From the pic, I count 10 coils. That is not the coilspring that they have had trouble with. :confused: :confused: Pete

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
I was actually making some fun of the "shock police" who were sure to appear. I wasn't disappointed. That's what happens when you check in after about 6 too many beverages.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Brian:

I'm glad all is OK and when you call FFR tomorrow you will get the full instructions on how to rectify the problem. BUT, there is a point that can politely be made here. If "you" (aka: all of us) did a search of your topic before you posted a new thread, you most likely would have found the recent posts about the broken shocks. I try to live by this simple rule and usually find the help I need.

Good luck!

PS: I can't tell exactly by the pic, but it looks like you have the "12 coil" springs.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Joe...you really fooled us all into thinking that you were trying to catch everyone out.

Yep caught the shock police sleeping.

There was me seriously thinking that you were infact being insensitive.

So either you are stiring up trouble or are in fact being insensitive...either way isn't that against the bill of rights.

The guy only posted that he had a broken shock.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The marks on that rod end are almost exactly inline with the bolt, as if the end was not free to rotate.
Lubrication of the heim joints may be the most important thing to learn from all this.

·
2,630 Posts
Glad you found it before it went out on the road. Looks just like mine when it broke. Radarpete makes a good point. I didn't have the suspect springs either...Please let us know what FF has to say.

·
Junior Charter Member
182 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Barry:
What brand of shock is it?
Judging by the "golden" color of the body tube, I'd say that is a Bilstein. The break looks identical to mine.

Glad you are safe Brian.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts