Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - I'm looking for options here.

I'm considering installing one in a Cobra to race in a 3 liter or under class.

Give me all the dirt you have on it...

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Great engine and they look amaizing to boot. A little more cost to maintain than say a 2.3L, but not extravagently so. I don't think there are really any major reliability issues to be concerned about though.

You coming to the Odd Fellows on Saturday at Brents place? My friend Tim (building all-wheel drive 5.0 turbo XR4TI, I think you met him) will be there and he can tell you anything you want to know about the engine. He's literally a walking car almanac and did tons of research on the engine as an option for the XR4X4TI project.

·
Charter Member
474 Posts
Randy,
I had a 92 SHO that I ran to about 150,000 miles with out a burp. There was a guy in Madison, WI that specialized in SHOs. He was helpful with the 60k service check that called for timing belt service. It is one of those engines where the valves and piston occupy the same space at different times. So If the belt breaks pistons and valves colide.
If you care to give him a call he can be reached at Performance Plus (608) 277-8161.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We have had 5 SHO's over the years in our family. Still have one.

Excellent cars, fantastic engines; Yamaha motorcycle engine technology: 4 valves per cylinder, dual overhead cams, rev like crazy. All aluminum for very lightweight engine; reliable.

People may use Aerostar transmissions so they can be rear wheel drive....further checking required on that detail.

It has bee done!

Here is a link on SHO engine in a Cobra replica

·
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Arachnyd:
Great engine and they look amaizing to boot. A little more cost to maintain than say a 2.3L, but not extravagently so. I don't think there are really any major reliability issues to be concerned about though.

You coming to the Odd Fellows on Saturday at Brents place? My friend Tim (building all-wheel drive 5.0 turbo XR4TI, I think you met him) will be there and he can tell you anything you want to know about the engine. He's literally a walking car almanac and did tons of research on the engine as an option for the XR4X4TI project.
Great information guys!!!

LNJ - Thanks for the link!!

I will be at a Triathlon this Saturday AM from about 6:30am till noon'ish over in Hudson WI. I'm not competing but a friend of mine is and we are going to be her Cheering section..

Dang - I keep missing these tours!!! :( Good thing that the very first one was at my shop or you guys would have dis-owned me! :D

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
Big-Foot,
Think SVO Mustang.
That turbo motor can make crazy power,and it'll drop right into a Cobra.
I was thinking about using my '86 SVO a a donor for my kit.(but not very seriously,it only has 10k miles on it and it's much too nice to cut up)
Joe

·
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Joe - I thought about that engine, but the class has a limit of 3 liters to play with. I think I could put a pair of intercooled hairdryers on a 220hp V6 and come up with 400hp without causing much of an additional load on the engine itself. Esslinger makes stuff for the 2.3 that puts them up to 300hp in a hurry, but you don't have much left that's stock.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I've owned two. The only issue was a short clutch life on the first one ('89) which had to be replaced twice in its life but Ford picked up the first replacement. The engine was just so much better than the transmission.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts