Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question: if the 289 cars had the stubby shifter,and the 427 cars had the 1965 Mustang shifter turned around backwards for room behind the 427 and toploader(longer combo),why do FFR cars have a small block with the 427 style shifter?Is this to replicate the vintage look? I have driven a few ERA cars with the 427 and the backwards style shifter, felt awkward. I love the placement of the shifter in my 1997 Mustang GT, and plan on either a 347 or 351 with a tremec in a FFR car. So, can I use a stubby style shifter?I don't recall seeing this used. Thanks, Bill.

·
Out-of-control teenager
835 Posts
Unless using a TKO with midshift (which requires frame mods in the trans tunnel on the Mark II cars) the shifter sits far enough back due to the recessed engine position, even with a 302, that it requires the forward tilt of the shift lever.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The 3550 can be used with the mid-shift as well. But you will have to do the frame mods like stated above.
Mike

·
Rip Snortin Post Maniac
1,044 Posts
I kinda liked the rear shift position. I got used to it pretty fast.

why do FFR cars have a small block with the 427 style shifter?
The FFR is a replica of the 427. Oops, I mean it's a roadster that happens to look a lot like the 427. I guess they just used 427 style shifter becuase of the location of the shifter on the donor (T-5) tranny.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could someone be a bit more specific as to what modifcations (frame) are needed? Like anything else in life, this sounds intimidating mostly becuse I don't understand it. BTW-I do appreciate the responses so far...thanks.

·
Out-of-control teenager
835 Posts
On the mark II transmission tunnel there are a few cross braces that go across the top of the tunnel. These block the shifter location for the mid shift and would need to be cut and moved.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
XL,

prior to any decision have you driven a FFR with the long shifter? Try it.. If your not building a daily race car I think you will like it. It is easy to operate and seems almost ergonomic if that makes sense for 30 year old design...

·
450 Posts
You can mid-shift a T5 by using a Chevy S-10 rear housing, moves the shifter up 7 or 9 inches as I recall.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I had a similar concern since I liked the shifting position of my 88GT and the FFR looked funny. Turns out, it's great and I like it better than a Mustang. Use a short throw, Pro 5.0 shifter in your T5 and don't worry about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts