Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So those plastic bushings that the 1\2'' shifting rod slides through are pretty weak. Before the gtm was on the road, while installing the linkage i cracked one and didnt worry to much about it to much. a couple thousand miles after driving the bushing broke leaving me with 4th gear and neautral only! I was about 60 miles from home at 1 am so luckily i made it in fourth gear only having to start from a stand still in 4th gear a couple of times. I got some replacement plastic ones but plastic doesnt seem right for the repeated force these take. im wondering if anyone knows where to buy aluminum ones. Ive looked everywhere on and offline and have had no luck. the car has been off the road for a few months now but i wanted to change all the plastic bushings to aluminum for next spring.

Thank you in advance:)

·
Premium Member
13,253 Posts
Do yourself the biggest favor of all and ditch the FFR linkage and install a cable shifter. I'm not sure what FFR is using now, as I have never seen anything with plastic bushings from them. All I do know is that the rod linkage is like shifting with the linkage made out of a giant garage door spring.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do yourself the biggest favor of all and ditch the FFR linkage and install a cable shifter. I'm not sure what FFR is using now, as I have never seen anything with plastic bushings from them. All I do know is that the rod linkage is like shifting with the linkage made out of a giant garage door spring.

-START THREAD HIJACK-
Shane, if I don't run the rod shifter do I have to put the oil block off plate on or can I leave the stock one on?
-END THREAD HIJACK-

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont understand why everything thinks the ff linkage is garbage. it once crossed my mind to get a cable shifter, at the time of installing the linkage, but for several hundred dollars and thinking that its a cable. no thanks. My brothers wolkswagen golf has a cable shifter in it and it feels weird compared to a rod or a solid shifting point. For 1. your not able to bang off the gears the same(not that i do with the gtm at all). But thats my experience with only one cable shifter. maybe there is good ones where you cannot tell the difference. but the gtm linkage all i did was greased the fittings and that is the easiest shifting shifter ive ever shifted. Goes into every gear perfect. I use the supplied linkage as a credability thing also when people ask me about the shifting linkage. i say "factory five even made their own linkage to fit the kit" so i always thought was cool haha:p

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the cable vote. We went through the hassle of installing the stock rod system and it shifted OK. Then we installed a cable sytem and WOW! what a difference. Best money we spent on the car. I wish I hadn't waisted the time installing the rod system. Two other advantages to the cable system. You can run the stock oil temp switch and you can eliminate the pulley used to route the serpentine belt over the rod allowing you to run a shorter belt.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mine came with aluminum bushings and it shifts smooth and great.

Maybe check with Factory Five to see where they sourced the aluminum ones in the past?

Like Canadiangtm, I oiled it and fiddled with it for a few days before it became really smooth.

·
Premium Member
13,253 Posts
I dont understand why everything thinks the ff linkage is garbage. it once crossed my mind to get a cable shifter, at the time of installing the linkage, but for several hundred dollars and thinking that its a cable. no thanks. My brothers wolkswagen golf has a cable shifter in it and it feels weird compared to a rod or a solid shifting point. For 1. your not able to bang off the gears the same(not that i do with the gtm at all). But thats my experience with only one cable shifter. maybe there is good ones where you cannot tell the difference. but the gtm linkage all i did was greased the fittings and that is the easiest shifting shifter ive ever shifted. Goes into every gear perfect. I use the supplied linkage as a credability thing also when people ask me about the shifting linkage. i say "factory five even made their own linkage to fit the kit" so i always thought was cool haha:p
Fact is that almost every single newly manufactured FWD or mid/rear engine car with manual transmission on the road today has a cable shifter. I can't even think of an exception to that right now. What FFR provides in the kit is a 10' long torsion spring. I tried it with the "ball bearings" that they supplied at the beginning. I spent some insane amount like $180 or something to swap the bearings out with brass bushings with very little improvement.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the cable vote. We went through the hassle of installing the stock rod system and it shifted OK. Then we installed a cable sytem and WOW! what a difference. Best money we spent on the car. I wish I hadn't waisted the time installing the rod system. Two other advantages to the cable system. You can run the stock oil temp switch and you can eliminate the pulley used to route the serpentine belt over the rod allowing you to run a shorter belt.
I agree with sk7500! I recently installed a cable shifter after a year of driving with an OK rod shifter - and WOW:w00t: - new car. I used a Brandwood shifter. Best upgrade I have made. Also good time to cover the dash. Medium size job - Just under replacing the engine - LOL. If the car is an onion this is the second layer. Would be so much eaiser to do up front - don't wait until car is built to add.

·
Premium Member
11,847 Posts
X200 or how ever many have changed.

I fusssed with the rods and got it to work, never well but worked. Swapped to the Brandwood and WOW what a difference. Some of the best money spent on the car.

I can guarantee you will not know what you are missing if you have not tried the cable shifter. JMHO, YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.