Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, just purchased a ffr from one of the member's here,
trying to get it it titled in NJ, one of the things i am needing is the
shifter ball with the pattern, anyone have one they want to get rid of?
also just in case what is the thread size?

thanks mike from nj

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
No help here...but congrats on the purchase. Is a ball with a pattern required to get it legal up there?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Back in the day we just bolted the stock Mustang handle and knob to the shifter to get through inspection then changed it once through. What handle do you have so we can help with a knob with the right threads. I think FFR's come with the pattern on them now come to think of it, I may have an extra.

Mike

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Summit has a good selection of shifter balls.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,655 Posts
Bought a white Hurst Ball with 5-speed pattern from Summit

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
I have ordered from these guys before, they have lots of choices.

Engraved Shift Knobs - EPCO

Otherwise, I have a handle and knob like the one pictured above that I would sell to you. Looks like the going rate is $35 shipped.

Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
1,874 Posts
If my old brain remembers correctly I got mine from Speedway Motors, came with inserts to fit different sized shafts.

·
iBuild
5,740 Posts
Bucket,

Like Dan I got the white Hurst shifter from Summit. I think I had to rethread it to get it to fit, but it wasn't a big deal.

Also, in NJ, I am assuming the car was never completed and titled and you are going to the tech inspection in Asbury Park? The regs say that the shift pattern needs to be indicated, it doesn't say it has to be on the ball. You can make up a plate, decal, or even a post it note and put it on the dash and it should suffice to meet the requirements. If it has already been titled in another state, then you shouldnt need to bother with the technical inspection and its just a transfer.

HTH

_Scott

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
Could an engraver, like one of the trophy places do it for you on the original ball just to get you through inspection? You could fill the lines with white touch-up paint. You could google Tremec shift knobs, I know they are available.

·
Registered
313 Posts
shift pattern

I just had my Coupe inspected at a Car Show just for Chits and Grins.
The shift pattern was one of the things mentioned. I had never thought about that.
I think Im going to have a small plaque made up to attach to the trans cover.

The other thought is: Why make it easier to steal?
Maybe I ll do nothing.
Whew, maybe I need to rest now after all that thought.

The Nut

·
New
1,143 Posts
Don't most of the standard shift knobs point the pattern away from you when installed on these shifters? I want to get someone to sell one un-drilled so I can drill and tap it to make the pattern show up better. Or maybe if I just re-drill one I could use the old hole to tuck a line lock button up in there. The button on top always seemed like it would be easy to hit accidentally, although I've never driven a car with one.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Don't most of the standard shift knobs point the pattern away from you when installed on these shifters? I want to get someone to sell one un-drilled so I can drill and tap it to make the pattern show up better. Or maybe if I just re-drill one I could use the old hole to tuck a line lock button up in there. The button on top always seemed like it would be easy to hit accidentally, although I've never driven a car with one.
The place I linked to (Epco) sells them with the engraving on the side so that it points up when installed. Just a thought if you really want one.

Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.