Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using one of these mounted to the body above the dash?

I'm thinking about using one, but not sure what it will look like.

2FAST

·
4,494 Posts
Keith: My two cents. You see these things on every rice grinder out there and you don't want to look like those. These are mostly for drag racing, and I believe you are building for autocross.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
I don't use it, but several others do. For big HP/torque cars, I feel like I know pretty well when to shift, but the reality is that a shift light will make you more precise.

For smaller HP/torque cars I think they are a necessity: you just can't always feel the power drop off and you may lose precious seconds without it.

As for auto-x, I think the help would vary by course set up and gearing.

·
Senior Charter Member
297 Posts
Stay away from the 'ricer' look. I'd figure out a way to dash mount it. Maybe tap the leads and use a remote lamp ......???

Just a thought.

Gene

·
Registered
355 Posts
How 'bout an amber indicator lamp, that matches the other dash lights, wired up to a homemade shiftlight circut. I know I've seen homemade shiftlight & rev limiter schimatics on the internet too.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
617 Posts
Just 'cause the rice rockets are using them, doesn't make it a bad idea or a bad "look". Our machines are about FUNCTIONALITY!! Don't pass up a good idea just because a different group of people are doing it.

BTW, there's info on the FAQ page about how to mount it in the dash.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
These were in late model muscle cars long before the ricers got a hold of them. I like-em.
Mike

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Mike, what cars did these come in?
I had a Firebird Formula that had a light that told me when to shift, but that was to meet gas mileage and emmisions requirements. Not where the shift point was for most performance.
RR

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
What brand shift light is the one you show? I am interested in getting one for my spec racer and I really like the looks of that one.

Thanks,

Terry

ffr 3646sp

·
6,546 Posts
It doesn't have to be on top of the dash.

I've seen them mounted in dashes and under them.

The things are so bright that if you just point it into the foot well you can see the light go off in your peripheral vision..easily.

Cripes they're so bright you can see them in the cars at night on the drag strip.

Shift lights aren't ricer.. A 5" tach dash mounted on a stock Honduh 4 cylinder with a shift light? That's rice.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I like the autometer quick light much better. It's a pencil light that is approximately 1/3 the diameter of the one shown. You do need a acutator module for it, both available from autometer but, it can be mounted just about anywhere.
Just my .02.
ps- I'll be using 2 of the quicklights. One for Oil pressure and fuel pressure drop (red), and one for shifting points (yellow).

·
Fast Snake Charmer
585 Posts
I have one mounted like Bob. I don't need it on the street, but on the track and autocrossing if you are watching your tach, you are not watching where you need to go!
Dave

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Terry (Falcon65)-

The shift light I showed is made by Autometer

2FAST

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would think that a shift light would be even more necessary while Auto Crossing. There is no time to focus on a dash Mounted tach.

2FAST, You may want to try this smaller one from auto meter. It would be just as bright, but wouldn't stand out so much on your dash. You would have to shell out $40.00 more than you would for the larger one, because you have to buy an RPM activated switch to trigger the light.

This would be more complicated but,I think better looking.

Have Fun
Sean

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Sean

My car has become so complicated that this added work is nothing. In fact, I haven't used the build manual since the F-panels.

2FAST

·
Senior Charter Member
328 Posts
I've used a couple different shift lights in the open wheel cars I used to drive. The one I liked best was driven off the Pi data acquistion system and we had sequential lights (yellow then red) that were fiber optic tubes that were pointing at your face from the top of the dash. When not lit, you could not see them at all. I've also used a system with a tiny LED that was inside my helmet which I found distracting.

I would like to adapt the fiberoptic system to one of the more standard lights, since the Pi system is BIG bucks.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I rely on my MSD shift light for quicker more precise shifts. It comes on 200rpm after peak
HP. I do not even look at the tac when I get on it. It is discreetly mounted below/center dash.
The mini tac is a great idea, especially if you could make a nice clean in dash install.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
2FAST,
I mounted mine on the face of the dash (gauges side) using polished aluminum so that only the light is just above the top of dash and at an angle facing driver. I change the pills for street driving and I have used it at long autoxs. IMHO it looks great and I know exactly when to shift without taking my eyes off the road.
Thanks,
Ron FFR1738
BTW, I also used it when I dusted a Z06 early Sunday morning. Hey...he asked for it!!! :D :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts