Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the original backward facing mustang shift lever in my car for many years, but have always liked the look of a white ball, and wanted better ergonomics. So, I built the shifter pictured. Now the knob falls right to hand, is closer to my leg, and I am very pleased with the feel and layout. (I have tried other levers, but the knob was either too close to the tunnel in 1,2,5, or my elbow was too high or far back in 2,4,6)

I really like this configuration and the Hurst knob, but the lever itself is just an old breaker bar that I cut and welded to get the right dimension and angles.
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0950.jpg
Here is the question, does anyone know where I could get a custom lever that looks better than the old bar I am using? Or, what could I use to fabricate up a new lever that would look better than this lever?

·
Registered
397 Posts
The F5 lever is stainless. It does not take too much heat to bend it. I have not tried some of the steep angles you have, but soft bends do not wrinkle and polish up well.
Bend the shaft against a round surface.
I did not have to see any orange or yellow on the shaft for it to bend. A sharper bend may take more heat.
good luck,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,258 Posts
I installed the Mustang shifter backwards and it work great.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave. Will I see you in Franklin next week for the DSCC mountain cruise?

·
Registered
162 Posts
My '04 donor came with an MGW short shift kit. I just flipped the handle around and it wound up being the perfect reach for me.
20200617_095051.jpg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,258 Posts
Rick. We will be at the Franklin meet next week. See you there!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the original backward facing mustang shift lever in my car for many years, but have always liked the look of a white ball, and wanted better ergonomics. So, I built the shifter pictured. Now the knob falls right to hand, is closer to my leg, and I am very pleased with the feel and layout. (I have tried other levers, but the knob was either too close to the tunnel in 1,2,5, or my elbow was too high or far back in 2,4,6)

I really like this configuration and the Hurst knob, but the lever itself is just an old breaker bar that I cut and welded to get the right dimension and angles. View attachment 359965 View attachment 359965
View attachment 359966 View attachment 359966
Here is the question, does anyone know where I could get a custom lever that looks better than the old bar I am using? Or, what could I use to fabricate up a new lever that would look better than this lever?
Mark Dougherty made me a custom shift lever that fits great in my hand. Could ask him how he got it done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts