Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Destroyed tranny last night :-( and putting in new t5. Now would be the time but are Shift kits worth it and which one? Chad

[ August 06, 2007, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: rbordner ]

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
Are you referring to an aftermarket shifter? Shift kits are only for auto trans, as far as I'm aware.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Most use the Pro 5.0 shifter. Shortens the throw and has positive stops at the end of each throw. Pete

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Vtwin, what radar is talking about. I think they are called shift kits. I guess for the money cant hurt. Chad

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
If you are still using the stock shifter, just about any aftermarket unit will give a vastly improved feel to your gear rowing. For my money the Pro 5.0 is the one, but I've heard great things about the Steeda Tri-Axe as well. Like radar said, be sure that whatever you get has positive stops for the lever or you can hurt your tranny guts even worse than you would with a stock shifter.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I started a thread late last week, asking for feedback from Pro 5.0 owners. Search for it; there's some pretty good info in it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Helped alot as always. Was hearing good things about the steeda outside the forum as well. I will check out the other thread as well. Chad

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Hey Chad,

Were you at the track again?

Jaime

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the tri-ax come up through the exact location. Web sit says something about "most comfortable hand pos. of any" not sure if that is the the handle or the lever itself has moved. My aftermarket trans tunnel cover had hole cut in it already and is about 1/8 of an inch from being off. If the shifter was that much more forward I'd have a problem. Other wise I think I'll go with Tri-ax Chad

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Jaime, No I was just driving on street. Not really even getting on it. somewhat hard shift into 2nd and and it sounded like the driveshaft was flopping around or something. Get out and tranny fluid pouring out. It was a POS anyhow. Had a vibration in it that drove me nuts. The couple 2nd to 1st shift at the drags could not have helped though.

What you been up to? swap rears yet? The only thing, car wise I've been doing is a monthly exotic car gathering on the last sat of month in Wp. Pretty fun, just hanging out then lunch at PF changs

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you were ready for an upgrade anyway. Not a lot of driving since late may - too hot. I swaped out the rear for an 8.8 with 3.27 gears and disks. Im getting ready to order a new 347 stroker from T&L in the next couple of weeks. My 302 is tired. I hope to have that swaped out by mid October. I see you have a new motor comming too. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I bought my 1989 Mustang donor with a Steeda short shifter already on the trans. Left it there after the rebuild. No problem, works great. I don't even know how T-5 feels without it.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts

ditto the steedia triax. here it is on my go-cart, even though i now have the angled shifter

it's so pretty, it's a shame to cover it up with tranny tunnel and shift boot.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I'm useing the Hurst shifter. No complaints with it. Almost any aftermarket shifter that has adjustable stops will be an improvment over stock.
Once you add the long ffr handle. Short throw shifter makes up for the added distance.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That thing is going to be a beast jaime. Would love to take a ride when its done. Also, let me know if you need a hand. I have put my engine swap on hold for now:-( but still go back and forth between t&l's 347 or FMS's 345hp. Should have tranny swapped this week. now I can't decide Aluminum flywheel or stock. Decisions, decisions. Chad

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Sure thing. Thanks. I sent you a PM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts