Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Shell Valley trunk hinges for my build. I did searches but could not find the info I was looking for. Does anyone have step by step pictures of the install so I get an idea of what is really required? What are your overall experiences with it? Easy to install? Difficult? Was it worth it? Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well, I bought a set and could not get them to work... no enough adjustment and no instructions. The body shop guys riped them out and statred over with a new set. Thought I had done something wrong. They gave up and now I have the original hinges on them. I thinl some guys have used the parts from the kit and fabricated hinges. Good luck!

Dennis

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Lots have done this mod including myself. No instructions but it's easily done. Do a search and you should find something. Plenty of adjustment. It's a common mod.

·
5,559 Posts
I used them, and yes, they are worth it. It is what I would call a "moderate" level of difficulty to set up, mainly because you have to fabricate the stud plates, and glass them to the trunk (so you have the adjustability), as well as welding the j-hooks to the slotted plates. They come un-welded because you have to tack them at the angle they rest on the trunk lid so that they move in the correct plane. It's actually much harder to explain than to do! I wouldn't suggest anyone who doesn't have access to a welder to try to use them, though. Would I use them again - absolutely! In fact, next time I will use them on the hood too.

Brian

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Ditto to Tim and Brian's comments. It's a bit of a hassle (and something that FFR should come with on their own) but worth it to get rid of those chrome bumps.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Oops.

[ December 10, 2006, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Mike D ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
I could not get them to work. I tried twice, drove me crazy A real pain.

I agree that their should be a kit made for the installation. There was a kit made for awhile out of Saint Louis but when I went to buy it was no longer offered.

Second thought, try Dark Water, they had some diagrams of trunk brackets in the last 9 months or so. Just after I sent our car to the painter.

Good Luck!

Rick

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
The only real trick is to get them mounted in the same "plane." In other words, the flat plates, on the body, have to be be parallel in respect to one another and the ones mounted ( bonded ) to the trunk have to be parallel to one another. Hence the "stud" plates Brian makes reference to.These end up having a "slight "wedge" shape to them because of the curvature of the trunk lid and body. It's worth the effort though if you are after a cleaner look.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Like Tim says, first you clamp the metal bracket to the underside of the body above the trunk lid and bent the arms of the bracket till they are 90º to the ground. This puts the 'Js' swinging in the same plane. Then with the trunk lid shimmed and taped in place grind the Js till they fit flush to the trunk lid and weld the plates to them. If you don't do this you'll get binding when the lid opens.
To me the biggest hassle is having to 'glass in the bracket on the body and the pads to the trunk.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts