Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm currently assessing the initial state of a 65 Coupe with missing parts. One of the most obvious is missing sheetmetal in the driver's footwell and the read deck.

I tried reaching out to FFR thru email, but haven't heard back. Does anyone know the gauge of metal that I would need to get if I can't source it direct from FFR?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
The aluminum sheet panels used in Factory Five kits is .040" thick 6061T6. Widely available through multiple sources. Occasionally there are thicker parts, like the firewall on the Hot Rod and Truck as an example. Guys also sometimes will change to thicker parts like the firewall on the Roadster. But for a stock kit, .040" is the norm. I built my Gen 3 Coupe and used all the stock parts plus a couple custom ones from .040".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the information, Edward! We were able to find a few more missing parts today, but so far, still no metal. It also seems that all the rivets are MIA. :cautious: With your post, at least we have a starting point!

Do you know if anyone has used Dzus fasteners for having permanent access to the fuel tank or firewall? I've seen people cut access panels for the pedal box adjustments and hold it with screws, but have yet to see a fully removable panel.

I was reading your build threads and was happy to find out that you, too, had taken over previous owner builds, which is my situation right now. In your experience, what were the biggest obstacles doing that? From what I've done initially, just being able to catalog the parts on hand is one thing, and trying to figure out what the previous owner was trying to do is another animal in of itself.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
True I have taken over two started builds. But parts were not an issue. One was literally only a few months after delivery from Factory Five. So nearly like buying a new kit. The other had been started by a professional fabricator. So again, all parts were accounted for. I can't offer much advice for your situation other than to obtain the build manual, if you don't already have it, and go through all the assembly work that hasn't been completed and see what parts you have. Not an easy task if things aren't organized or all account for.

I've seen a couple builds where guys used Dzus fasteners for access panels. But plain low tech nutserts and screws are probably the most common. Fuel tank is wide open from the bottom. Some have access panels for the gauge sender and pump from the floor in the back. Kit comes configured that way. But otherwise, it's pretty easy to drop the tank if it comes to that. Firewall removable? No. Way too integrated into everything else. Pedal box access panel is pretty common and depending on the age of your kit, may already be set up that way from the factory. If not, an easy add. My Coupe is a Gen 3, so not completely applicable to yours. But it only has three access panels -- one on the top of each footbox accessible from the engine compartment and the cover over the transmission tunnel in the cockpit. All the other aluminum is permanently attached.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Some have used D-sus for access panels, but not for whole panel removal. Since you are looking at most likely having to fabricate the rear floor yourself it could be helpful to weld a support strip down the center length wise and make the piece in two pieces. Lots have struggled to get the single piece in there, although totally doable with a strap. I made an access port for the fuel sender and the fuel pump and glad I did because I've already used them. I also made access panels for the tail lights in the rear panel and rear quarters, as well as on the drivers foot box.

HTH,

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both.

Edward, unfortunately I was given a jumble of boxes with parts already taken out of the packages. It's like a jigsaw puzzle which I'll be working on the next week or so. :cry:

John, that seems like a good idea about the rear deck panel being in two pieces. It's exactly what I was thinking to ease the build and still be able to remove the panel, if ever needed. I was thinking the same with the transmission tunnel which is already installed, but need to design it with carpet in mind. May be some carpet velcro pieces on top of the fasteners to remove it. This is an idea with possible future service being in mind.

Right now I'm dealing with the Wilwood clutch pedal hitting a body reinforcement before I can think of covering up the driver footwell. Hopefully, I can get it resolved with some adjustment this weekend.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
. I was thinking the same with the transmission tunnel which is already installed, but need to design it with carpet in mind. May be some carpet velcro pieces on top of the fasteners to remove it. This is an idea with possible future service being in mind.
I left the original piece but cut it into 3 pieces. The front and rear pieces are stationary. The large center piece is removable by just lifting it out. These pieces are covered with sound/heat insulation.
I then made a new piece that covers the rear and center section that is slightly wider to accommodate for the carpet to go under the down flaps.
The top piece has a screw on either side in the front and velcro in the rear so removal is easy.
Hope that description makes sense.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts